Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

I have 2 DCX switches connected together via ICL cables

Currently I have 4 Brocade DCX switches running FOS v6.4.1b side A and side B.

I have 2 switches connected via ICL cables on side A.

I have 2 switches connected via ICL cables on side B.

I have successfully upgraded the firmware from v6.4.1b to v7.0.0a on side B with no issues.

When I try to upgrade the firmware on side A it fails with the following message.

"Upgrade to v7.0 or above is not allowed because duplicate PWWN devices are detected in one or more partitions."

1 of the switches on side A is not in production so I disabled this switch and I was able to upgrade the firmware on it while disabled.

While the non-prod switch was still disabled I tried to upgrade the firmware on the prod switch but it still failed with same message.

I am aware of the "Configure" and "Names" option, what does this really do? and is it disruptive?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

External Moderator

Re: I have 2 DCX switches connected together via ICL cables

I've experience with DCX, but not in ICL Mode, and I'm current on FOS 6.4.x level.

Try it with latest FOS Release 7.0.0c instead "a" probable this is a minor Bug in preview Release.

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

Re: I have 2 DCX switches connected together via ICL cables

A new behaviour in FOS 7 is the fact that it will never allow two devices with the same PWWN to login into the fabric at the same time.

Also when you upgrade to FOS 7 during the upgrade process there is a check for duplicate PWWNs. In that case the upgrade process will fail.

Take a look at all devices in your fabric and specially your virtual HBAs connected by NPIV to check if you don't have duplicates. Change the duplicate WWNs so they are unique and then try the upgrade once again.

Best regards,

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.