Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

I am having brocade 300 and 4100 san switches, do i need special ISL cables and SFP's to connect them?

I am having brocade 300 and 4100 san switches, do i need special ISL cables and SFP's to connect them or the normal LC-LC cables and SFP's installed on my switches will work ? I have attached SFPshow output from both san switches for your reference.

Regular Contributor

Re: I am having brocade 300 and 4100 san switches, do i need special ISL cables and SFP's to connect them?

Normal SFPs and LC-LC cables work for an ISL - inter-switch link.

Usually you only need single mode / long wavelength SFP if the distance is long (several km).

I only looked at the top of the attached files, but as the 300 has 8G SFPs and the 4100 has 4G SFPs you probably want to set a fixed speed of 4G on both sides.

Valued Contributor

Re: I am having brocade 300 and 4100 san switches, do i need special ISL cables and SFP's to connect them?

Usually you only need single mode / long wavelength SFP if the distance is long (several km).

Depending on OM mode and speeds, splices, patchpanels etc, the max distance for MM fiber is 500 meters or so, not kilometers.

At 4G with OM2 you can reach about 180 meters, OM3 will get you as far as 380 meters.

When you need to span say 400 meters at a descend speed go for SM fibers and optics.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook