Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How to upgrade firmware or FabOS from the Console

Hello,

How does one upgrade a Brocade switch from the connecting hyper-terminal console.  I made created a straight-through cable (2-2, 3-3, 5-5) and can get in the console of the Silkworm 3800 (aka EMC Connectrix DS-16B2, aka IBM 2109 Model F16, aka HP Surestore FC 1Gb/2Gb Switch 16B); however, I do not know the procedure to extract the downloaded firmware from my console (laptop) connected to the serial port of the switch.  It only has an option to look for an FTP site via its IP address.  There is another option to go through the LAN port, but should I use a straight-through or x-over cable for that, and how...I believe you would have to set up the IP address segments of the laptop to the same IP address scheme without using conflicting IP address.  I also read that someone here was able to use the Brocade Fabric Manager, but was that through the LAN port or the Serial Port?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: How to upgrade firmware or FabOS from the Console

Hi,

AFAIK you can only update the firmware via Ethernet. It could be way for you to take a small switch and connect you laptop and switch together without a connection to your production network.

Install a freeware FTP server on your Laptop and extract within the ftproot the Brocade FIrmware. Make sure that directly in the FTPROOT you have the folder "v4.4.1"

Set up via console an IP and subnet mask and setup this also on your Laptop. Connect both to your hub/switch or cross over cable

Login via telnet/ssh into your switch and run firmwaredownload command.

One confusing think is that you have to enter the path to your FOS code like this ./v4.4.1/release.plist

You will not find the release.plist file in folder v.4.4.1!

The command will redirect to the correct sub folder where the release.plist is in.

This give you the comfort to have a single image and the same command for all updates for all switch types.

The code from above is just an EXAMPLE. This 3800 is quite old and I can't remember the latest supported FOS code.

You can check this if you run the command "switchshow" on the switch and check the line "switchType:  xx.y"

This is the Brocade internal switch type. If you check your FOS code on your FTP server you should find a folder named like this "SWBDxx".

If not than this code is not supported for your switch. Download an older FOS code.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

External Moderator

FOS v3.2.1c is the latest release Supported for brocade 3200 and 3800. Other rel. are not Supported.

The Command /release.plist is by this release not supported, this is supported only for 4.x and above, which is as mentioned not supported by this Plattforms.

the command is i.e. /ftproot/v3.2.1c

firmwaredownload command from the Serial console is supported, but the switch must be have access trough the Ethernet Port to FTP Server.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tech,

Thanks for the reply.  Why does MyBrocade give options for downlad for the FOS up to 6.x.x for the 3200 and 3800, then?  Also, do you have any documentations from Brocade stating the at 3.2.1c is the latest levels for this model?  Also, is the FOS revision and Firmware revision all the same or are they separate?  If separate, what is the latest supported firmware revision for the 3200 and 3800?  Also, when performing due dilligence when upgrading firmware and Fab OS, what should one account for to check for interoperability within the fabric and EMC Clarion SAN Servers?  Should the Flarecodes be update in unision for the CX700 also?

Please advise..Thank you so much!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Adreas, appreciate the reply.

External Moderator

Brocade 2xxx Series and Brocade 3000; 3200 and 3800 are based on vxWorks Embedded Linux.

Brocade 3000, 3200 and 3800 are EOL, and EOS.

All this Plattforms use a Soldered 32MB FLASH.

As mention in my preview post FOS ( v4.0.0 first Compact Flash based Release was supported in 3900 later 4.0.2 in 12000 and so on) are not supported in this plattforms.

Begin Brocade 3900, all switch Running the FOS in CF.

--->>> Why does MyBrocade give options for downlad for the FOS up to 6.x.x

FOS 6.x is only Supported in NEW Generation Plattforms, i.e. 4100, 4900, 5000, 5100, 48000, all 8 GB Plattforms, and so on....

see this DOC here, is not up-to-date by latest release, but you find all the necessary info about 3800

--->>> Also, do you have any documentations from Brocade stating the at 3.2.1c is the latest levels for this model?

we have discussed such problem at several time here in the community.

--->>>> what should one account for to check for interoperability within the fabric and EMC Clarion SAN Servers?  Should the Flarecodes be update in unision for the CX700 also?

See in the Brocade Compatibility Matrix.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook