Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How to setup Inter-Switch Link for brocade switches

How to setup inter-switch link? I noticed that there are inter-switch link already configured for some port(s) on each sw5k switch here with core switch sw48k. I am wondering how that was initially setup?

Thanks,

Hai

Frequent Contributor

Re: How to setup Inter-Switch Link for brocade switches

Hi googles

Interswitch links are created automatically when to E ports are connected together.

David

Occasional Contributor

Thanks David, is it the case that when the 2 F-ports from 2 different switches got connected, these 2 F-ports will be automatically turned into E-ports?

Thanks,

Hai

Contributor

The short answer is NO.  In a Fabric Switched network, there is a two-way connection between an N-Port and the F_Port. N_Port stands for Node Port and located at the termination (Node) end. F_Port stands for Fabric Port and is located at the switch end. E_port is only used for ISL connection.

Hope this helps.

Occasional Contributor

Per help page from portcfgeport, E_Port is enabled by default.

Could I say that, unless the port is explicitly disabled via 'portcfgeport slotnumber/portnumber, 1), when I connected 2 ports from 2 different switches, these 2 ports will be automatically turned into E_Port? And if I disabled using 'portcfgeport slotnumber/portnumber, 0', it would be an F_Port?

Or is there any other steps need to be done here?

Thanks,

Hai

Contributor

Hello Hai,

Yes, unless you explicitly restrict it becomes an E-port, the 2 switches will automatically merge, provided there's no conflict, such as domain ids and the ports will automatically become E-ports.   But if you decide not to allow the port to talk as E-port, then it will become one of the other the types but not E-port, such as F, FL

Nothing else need to be done.  It's very much it.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook