Fibre Channel (SAN)

m1
New Contributor

How to set up ISL between 48000 and 4900's without rebooting

I have a 48000 and two 4900's.  There's no ISL between them now.  I would like to create ISL (not trunking) from the 48000 to both 4900's.  Both 4900's have domain id 1.  48000 has domain id 4.  What's best way to make ISL connection without rebooting?  If domain id's are automatically changed, what new domain id is assigned, eg. sequentially next available - 2, 3, etc.?

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor

Re: How to set up ISL between 48000 and 4900's without rebooting

Hi m1

If your planning on creating the ISL link between the two switches , choose which one you would like to be the "principal switch. And use the following command.

fabricprincipal -l -f

The switch you run this command on will be given the lowest domain id. This process won't require you to reboot your switches.

Then when you do a "switchshow" you will see the following

corefsw1:AD255:hbfadmin> switchshow       
switchName:     corefsw1
switchType:     44.2
switchState:    Online  
switchMode:     Native
switchRole:     Principal
switchDomain:   100
switchId:       fffc64
switchWwn:      10:00:00:05:1e:0d:0e:d7
zoning:         OFF
switchBeacon:   OFF

Good luck

David

External Moderator

--->>>Both 4900's have domain id 1.

each switch in the fabric must have a unique Doman ID. You need to change teh ID by the one 4900 as ID 2 or 3...

TechHelp24
m1
New Contributor

Can the 4900 domain id's be changed without rebooting?

The 4900's are in use by production systems and I would rather not reboot them since the production systems may need to be shut down.  The 48000 is not used by any production system yet and can be rebooted anytime.

Must the 48000's domain id be lower than the 4900's if the 48000 is to be the principal switch?

Thanks!

External Moderator

m1,

--->>>Can the 4900 domain id's be changed without rebooting?

Yes you can change reboot is not required, but is not necessary if you follow this Procedure, because you will have the 48000 with DID4 and the one 4900 with DID1

You need just to change the DID in the latest 4900 after build a Fabric by Step 12 as example DID 2

--->>>Must the 48000's domain id be lower than the 4900's if the 48000 is to be the principal switch?

No.

As Default the switch with the lowest WWID / WWN become as Principal, but you can force the 48000 Director as Principal

- if this is not the lowest WWN - with the command

"fabricprincipal --enable"

"fabricprincipal -f 1"

Note: The command fabricprincipal with args "-l -f" list im preview Post from TheEsp is unknown to me.

--->>>The 4900's are in use by production systems....

*My Question to you before procede with Step 3!! Are all Device, Server's Array's etc.. redundant connected in both 4900 ?

If yes, I would to procede follow:

1) Ensure the 48000 is correct configured. Ensure config, zoning and alias are empty,
    this will ensured they have no conflict during the merge;
    force as principal -see fabricprincipal command-
2) save carefully the config both 4900;
3) * Disconnect all Device from ONE 4900 completely;
4) ensure fabricprincipal in 4900 is disable;
5) ISL's the disconnected 4900 with 48000 Director;
    -merging begin zone and config are visible and available in the 48000-
6) Check carefully the 4900 existing zone and config is joined and active in the NEW 4900 / 48000 Fabric w/o conflict
    "fabricshow" is the comamnd to list all switch in the fabric.
7) Don't ISL/Connect at this time the second Active 4900 with the new 4900 /48000 Fabric
8) Unplug a cable as example from Server1 HBA1, and from Array1 SP1, from the Active 4900 and plug to a new Fabric.
    check dataflow, command "nsshow" help you to list all connected device.
9) continue carefully to unplug all device, and plug to joining in the new Fabric
    check every time with nsshow the device is connected in the new fabric
10) are all device connected now in the new Fabric, begin to disconnect from a second 4900
     as example the second HBA from Server1 HBA2 and Second SPB from array.
     check dataflow in the new fabric, and test a productive continuity in the new Fabric with Server1, Array1 etc...

-If everything works now, you were good

11) begin to disconnect remain device from Second 4900 and connect in the new Fabric.

NOTE: Leave it the second Disconnected 4900 as it is, test every possible configuration with the new Fabric and If you are 100%
           sure everything works, procede with step 12.

12) Repeat Step 1,4 and 5 for the Second 4900, remove any zoning/config, check /Change Switch Domain ID in the 4900 and then

physically connect ISL into a new Existing 4900 / 48000 fabric.
      -merging begin zone and config are visible and available in the second 4900;
      Check now with "fabricshow" if the switch is joined in the exising fabric.

13)  begin to connect all other disconnected cable in the NEW Fabric , list with "nsshow" a new connected Device is joined in the fabric.

You are finish.

Sound complexed.... it is very simple. Each has its own method, this is mine method... and it works.

I hope I have not forgotten anything, if you have a question let me know.

Have a fun.

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

Hello,

First of all tell me all the three SWs are separate and in production means all these 3 have different effective config files.so it is not possible to merge these in to one Fabric. you have to follow SAN migartion guide. forget about DID and Prinicipal SW. in a Fabric any SW/Dir that has lowest WWN is the principal sw . But the core SW 48K should be prinicipal SW. yes all the three SWs have different DIDs.think about the topology, you have to make 48K a core SW . So first decide out of 2 4900s which can be disabled, then keep the primary 4900 first, and then if nothing is connected to 48K, the sanitize it first.

in 48K: switchdisable,cfgshow,cfgdiasble,cfgclear,cfgshow, configure....set the Fabric.ops parameters as primary 4900, set different DID. then configshow, check all the Fab.ops parameters are like same as pri 4900.then put cfgenable, switchenable, switchshow, connect one by one ISL cables, if ISL is successful, put switchshow on 48K. you will see the effective config file name .now put fabricshow, you can see 48K and its IP DID. you can see the principal sw with an -> mark. Now disconnect all the devices from sec 4900, sanitize the sw like 48K and connect it to 48K because 48K is ur core SW now as core/edge tolology.do a fabricshow, then connect those divices which were connected to sec 4900 and do the zoning now. Now you have Pri config DB is merged with 48K and sec 4900.now you have complete core/edge topology Fabric.

check the licenses of all the SWs specially, full fabric license, trunking license for trunking.also before connecting ISL if you can do the latest FOS seeing the FOS compatibilty as best practice.

do let me knwo if anything is required.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook