Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How to merge two fabrics using DCFM?

Hi,

I would like to merge two fabrics using DCFM Professional Plus (during its evaluation period). I have the following questions:

Is it possible to do this operation without disabling fabric?

I'd like to do it in DCFM by choosing: Configure=>Zoning=>Fabric=>Compare (in Zone DB Operation) then

• choose in Reference Zone DB Fabric B
  • choose in Editable Zone DB Fabric A
  • check the FabricB Zone Configuration in Reference Zone DB (FabricB is the name of the Fabric B zone config)
  • check the FabricA Zone Configuration in Editable Zone DB (FabricA is the name of the Fabric A zone config)
  • click on the Merge button in order to add all zones and aliases from FabricB to FabricA zone config

• the same operation I want to do for Fabric B:
  • choose in Reference Zone DB Fabric A
  • choose in Editable Zone DB Fabric B
  • check the FabricA Zone Configuration in Reference Zone DB (FabricA is the name of the Fabric A zone config)
  • check the FabricB Zone Configuration in Editable Zone DB (FabricB is the name of the Fabric A zone config)
  • click on the Merge button in order to add      all zones and aliases from FabricA to FabricB zone config

At this moment I should have two active zone configs having exactly the same entries. Am I correct?

What  should be the next step? Maybe to make the ISL connection beetwen the  two switches I want to connect into single fabric? But if so, is it not  become segmented due to the fact that this two fabrics have different  names (zone configuration names - FabricA and FabricB)?  Is it possible to merge two fabrics with identical entries (zones  names, zones content, alias names, alias content) but with different  zone configuration names?

Maybe you know better way of merging two fabrics into single one without disabling it? If so, please tell me about it.

Thanks in advance,

Konrad

External Moderator

Re: How to merge two fabrics using DCFM?

--->>> I would like to merge two fabrics...

how many switch/port have each Fabric ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

We have two fabrics: A and B in one localisation and two fabrics (C and D) in second localisation.

Fabric A consists from three switches:

Brocade 5000 (v5.3.0a) (32 ports/20 ports we use et the moment);

Brocade 5000 (v.6.0.0c) (32 ports/20 ports we use et the moment);

Brocade 5100 (v.6.3.1a) (40 ports/21 ports we use et the moment).

Fabric B consists from three switches:

Brocade 5000 (v5.3.0a) (32 ports/20 ports we use et the moment);

Brocade 5000 (v.6.0.0c) (32 ports/13 ports we use et the moment);

Brocade 5100 (v.6.3.1a) (40 ports/14 ports we use et the moment).

Fabric C consists from one switch:

Brocade 48000 (v.5.2.0b) (96 ports/76 ports we use et the moment).

Fabric D consists from one switch:

Brocade 48000 (v.5.2.0b) (96 ports/75 ports we use et the moment).

This two environments are production (very important) so we would like to merge them in as less disruptive manner as possible.

External Moderator

The step you list show correct, but....

--->>> What  should be the next step? Maybe to make the ISL connection beetwen the  two switches I want to connect into single fabric?

....I'm here a bit confused.

Q.: From where Fabric you want to Migrate to ?

I must admit, I'm not a big friend such management Tools.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I want to merge fabric A with C and B witch D.

All the operations I have done on offline databases in DCFM in order to test them. This tool shows no conflicts for zones and aliases beetwen merged zone configs. I changed the config zone names on both fabric from:

• FabricA to FabA and from FabricC to FabA
  • FabricB to FabB and from FabricD to FabB

The problem is that I have never tested such solution. I do not know if it is sufficient to:

• change the config names so that they are the same on both fabrics we want to merge,
  • then activate new zone config sending it (or offline database) to switch,
  • connect ISLs

Is it everything what I should do to be successful? Will not this operation be disruptive for hosts connected to fabric we want to merge? Will it be done online without disabling switches?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.