Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

How to find if a particular port on switch had changed state from online to offline for sometime in the past?

We had a issue where all the hosts connected to one particular host port on the storage box went offline for 2 minutes. All The hosts reported that the storage host port wwn has "disappeared from fabric". We checked with the storage vendor and they informed us that there is no issue on the storage port.

I would like to find out what data to look for on a switch port to check if it had gone offline or changed state in the past so that we would be able to isolate the issue.

The switch firmware version is 6.3.2A.

I would appreciate for any help I can receive on this issue.

Regular Contributor

Re: How to find if a particular port on switch had changed state from online to offline for sometime in the past?

Hi -

either you have Fabricwatch license (and configured events monitoring) and would have events in errshow/errdump

or you should have a look at fabriclog -s (Offline / Online events on particular ports)

Hope this helps

Kind regards

--

david

Contributor

Re: How to find if a particular port on switch had changed state from online to offline for sometime in the past?

fabriclog is a command that will display a brief history of port communication. I say brief because this only contains a limited number of entries and will over write the oldest entries as newer entries are created. Fabric Watch can be configured to alert via email or snmp exactly when a port goes offline and for how long.

Occasional Contributor

Hi jayesh,

you may try the following steps:

- generate a Supportshow from your director

- open the file with notepad

- Ctrl + F / type offline and hit the Enter button

Under fabstateshow or fabricslog --show you will see which ports and when went offline

Some FOS versions support 512, other 1024 maximum number of entries. I don't know what is the number of entries for FOS 6.3.2a

Depending on the number of ports which were offline in the past this section can show entries for the last weeks or for the last year --> they are listed in 512/1024 rows. When the maximum rows are reached, the latest entries are overwritten. 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook