Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How to disable ARBff in Brocade 825 8G HBA

We are running into compatiblity problem where Brocade 825 does not get link up with FC Target in 8G link speed. We searched on internet and found that Brocade enables fill word as ARBff and there is a way to turn it off in Brocade switches. However, I could not find a way to disable it in HBA. I would appreciate if anybody has an idea in this regard.

Thanks,

Vimal

Frequent Contributor

Re: How to disable ARBff in Brocade 825 8G HBA

You shouldn't turn if off in the HBA but instead turn it on on the switch. Use portcfgfillword <slot/port> 2 (or 3).

8G connectivity requires ARBff fillwords according to the FC-FS and FC-PI standards. Don't muck around with it.

Cheers

Erwin.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for your answer. However, we don't have FC switch in between FC initiator and FC target. In our configuration, we have FC Initiator (Brocade) directly connected to FC target. So, we are looking for similar command or a way to do it for Brocade 825 8G HBA.

Thanks,

Vimal Nakum

Frequent Contributor

Vimal,

I think it should be the other way arround. If you have a P-t-P connection to the target the target should adhere to the standard and communicate with ARBff as ordered sets and not the other way arround. Have a chat with your storage vendor to see what options are available there.

Cheers

E

Occasional Contributor

Hi Erwin,

Thanks for your reply. There was an issue related to when ARBff ordered set should be used to replace IDLE when original ARBff replacement wording were issued. Later on, it was clarified that IDLEs should be replaced by ARBff only when link is in ACTIVE state. IDLEs should not be replaced by ARBff when link is in initializing state. Looks like with Brocade HBA, it starts transmitting ARBff before link becomes fully ACTIVE state.

From FC-FS-3:

"Idle is a Primitive Signal transmitted to indicate that link initialization is complete on all links, and as Fill Words to maintain link synchronization on links not using Emission Lowering Protocol."

Thanks,

Vimal Nakum

Frequent Contributor

That is correct although the standard is not really clear around that. This is also the reason why Brocade has made mode 3 available on the switches. This starts of with ARBff/ARBff in init/active state respectively. If ARBff fails during init state it falls back to IDLE/ARBff but very often the link init timing between the HBA/Storage port and switch port is strict and the init fails before the switch is able to revert back to IDLE during init state.

You have to fiddle arround a bit to figure out what the best setting is per HBA vendor/type and storage vendor/type.

Cheers

E

Occasional Contributor

Hi Erwin,

That is what I am trying to find out. I see that setting in switch and we have no problem working with switch. The problem is with Point to Point with HBA and I am trying to find out how to turn ARBff replacement off from HBA. Do you have any idea on how to enable the mode that you mention in HBA?

Thanks,

Vimal Nakum

Super Contributor

EMC primus emc220768 states that these HBA's are not supported for fabric loop mode operations. Hence you cannot use these for direct connection.

You can use the "Ask the Experts" forum here to ask a question directly to the Brocade experts. Since the primus dates almost a year ago, who knows there might have been some improvements. You may want to check options in all the tabs of HCM to see if there is an option to toggle this. I checked the guides and there is no mention of this feature there.

Kindly mark the thread "answered" if you think this helps.

Regards,

Biju Krishnan

TechHelp24

Email: bkrishnan@techhelp24.com

Site: www.techhelp24.com

Occasional Contributor

Hi Biju,

Thanks for your answer. However, we are not trying to use in Fabric Loop mode. We are configured in Point to Point mode. Also, we did check all the options available in HCM but could not find any thing related.

I checked for Ask the Experts but it is an event not an forum to post these kind of questions. Please let me know if you think otherwise.

Thanks,

Vimal Nakum

Super Contributor

Vimal,

to make a long story short.

You cannot Connect Device to Brocade 825 as follow reason.

The Brocade 825 Support only Point-to-Point and Switched Fabric also N_Port Topology

--->>> ....we don't have FC switch in between FC initiator and FC target.

This is Like a LOOP Topology, and AFAIK, LOOP Topology is not Supported.by 825.

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Thank you.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook