Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

How to configuration ISL to existing switch

Hello all;

I have one New San Switch Brocade 300 Series and I want using ISL to connect it to Existing San Switch 5100 series with online installation ( Not down time )    , how to step by step configuration ISL for both switch ? Thx

Thanks;

Ari wideyana

Occasional Contributor

Re: How to configuration ISL to existing switch

Ari,

Simplest way is:

Rack you New switch,  after ensuring it works and setting an IP address, power it off.

Then connect a fibre cable between your new and existing switch.

Power on the new switch.

You are done !

Super Contributor

wideyana,

ISL is very simple.

assign a Different Domain ID to the second Switch, ( each switch in the fabric must have a unique Domain ID ) and connect both Switch with FC Cable from One Port Switch-1 to another Switch-2

Use the command "switchshow" to verify the Domain ID.

If necessary upgrade the FOS in the NEW 300

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Thank you.

New Contributor

thx for your support   , but no problem with Domian ID ? ? .., because i get info that if " Domain id " on both switch is same then will replace configuration of the existing san switch ( configuration of the existing san switch will be lose ) when both san swtitch will be ISL configure ....

Thx;

Ari Wideyana

Super Contributor

--->>>...but no problem with Domian ID ? ? .., because i get info that if " Domain id " on both switch is same....

• assign a Different Domain ID to the second Switch, ( each switch in the fabric must have a unique Domain ID )
Occasional Contributor

Ari,

with the method I suggest, the Switch will negotiate a domain ID and will NOT conflict with the existing switch.

But you do also have the choice of setting a Domain ID manuall as ABBA-systems suggest,

while this is an extra configuration step, it is recommended practice.

If you zone your fabric using WWPN's then the Domain ID really is nothing you need to worry about and letting the switches sort it out is the simplest method.

Super Contributor

you have to disable the new SW,

switchdisable , cfgshow, cfgdisable  , cfgclear, configure and set the fabric.ops parametres similerly as the existing one except the DOMAIN ID(it should be unique 1-239, by default it is 1 in each new SW), cfgsave.

again disable the SW by switchdisable

connect the ISLs, then enable the SW by switch enable, The ISL ports will show you E ports. Confirm it with islshow.Also if you have trunking licenses on both the SWs, trunks will be formed if the trunking criteria meet, common speed, same portgroup.Always prefer Trunking to ISL

Super Contributor

@ hemant

--->>>....cfgshow, cfgdisable  , cfgclear,....

what kind of config must be show, disable and clear in a NEW Switch ?

Thank you so much.

Super Contributor

Even if it is a new sw, I do not understand What's wrong by putting and trying these commands.They  will come to know a lot.I understand these should be tried with the used SWs, but what is harm to clear the  configuration. The people, who are putting the questions here are not experienced like you.

Occasional Contributor

Segmented unless you verify the domain IDs on the old and new switch aren't the same

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook