Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How to clear out non-abortable transaction?

I've had some zoning transaction that has been out there for a while and it's not let me make any zoning configuration changes.

cfgtransshow

Current transaction token is 0xfffffff0

It is not abortable

So, I can't abort by cfgtransabort

cfgtransabort

The current outstanding transaction is not abortable

And I can't make any zone changes. What can I do to correct this problem?

Thanks!!

External Moderator

Re: How to clear out non-abortable transaction?

You wrote here:

--->>> cfgtransshow

--->>> Current transaction token is 0xfffffff0

--->>> It is not abortable

If a transaction is open on a different switch in the fabric when this command is run, the

transaction on the other switch remains open and unaffected.

Same reason, is the transaction is open or running in the same switch.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I am unclear as to what you mean.

The transaction is open, continues to be open, doesn't complete, and doesn't finish. I am not even certain as to what the transaction is...

All of the switches in this fabric show this transaction and show that 'It is not abortable'.

So, is there any way to get this transaction to complete, finish, end, or discard what it was suppose to do?

Because this transaction is out there it isn't allowing me to make any changes to the fabric. Changes such as zoning config changes.

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I have this exact same problem.  I'm unable to abort a transaction and therefore I can't perform any zoning changes.  Were you able to find a solution?

Thanks

Super Contributor

My reply wont be of great help but neverthless

I contacted Brocade support when such a problem was found and they were able to quickly provide the switch id where the transaction was stuck. The quickest way is to hafailover or hareboot this switch to clear the transaction.

I do not know as to how they found the switch id, but maybe the logs could give a clue.

Super Contributor

although I found this in the old FOS notes might be useful for debugging this problem. Try posting output of

rcssmshow and zone stateshow - although i'm not sure if they exist in 6.x or 5.3, I'm not at a position to look into the CLI guide at the moment.

rcssmshow
  Troubleshooting Use: This command is useful for debuging the case where a RCS transaction is stuck.
  Available in Fabric OS versions: v4.1, v4.2
Note:  rcs stands for “Reliable Commit Serivice”, sm stands for state change. This is a reliable commit service state
       change show command. The ‘rcssmshow’ command can be used to display the state machine of all the
       applications that use RCS. First structure is for Zoning, 2nd for Security etc. This debug command shows the
       Application Id, the rcs phase (Sender or receiver: ACA, SFC, UFC, RCA ), list of domains that got that phase,
       which domain accepted, rejected or left the fabric in the middle of the RCS transaction. Example: The first
       structure (RCS opcode 1) shows the RCS state machine used for the Zoning application. This structure shows
       the internal of the RCS state machine. It does not show the application data. ‘zone stateshow’ will display the
       zoning application debug information. Zoning uses RCS only for the commit operations (cfgEnable, cfgDisable
       & cfgSave). It is not used during zone merge. Therefore, RCS will not cause segmentation.

Interesting topic though, I too am eager to learn how this is resolved.

Occasional Contributor

Hi bijukrishnan,

Brocade support was able to assist me on this......it came down to an hafailover on the Brocade 48000.  I can only assume that was where the transaction was stuck as there is a Brocade 4900 and 200E in the same fabric.  Thanks for your assistance.

Super Contributor

If your support ticket is still active - can you ask them how one could find the switch where the transaction is stuck.

Or maybe someone in this forum could shed some light.

Occasional Contributor

I asked Brocade Support but they would only state the following:

"You can see the warning message in the RASLOG or the errdump in SUPPORTSAVE."

Hope that helps

Super Contributor

Thanks. I would just to hope to dig into the logs and find this for myself the next time it hits me

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook