Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How to change from address in MAPS Emails

I've been trying to set up MAPS e-mails on a test switch running v7.4.0a.  I've worked through getting firewall ports opened, and the switch registered on the relay server, and the relay server is receiving e-mails from the switch.  However the relay server is blocking them, as the From address is 'root@switchname.domain.com'.  It's internal policy that all e-mails MUST be sent from a registered generic e-mail address, and obviously I don't want to register an e-mail address for all 100+ of our switches. Does anyone know how to change the From address for these e-mails to something more generic?  Our switches don't use LDAP. 

Thanks!

New Contributor

Re: How to change from address in MAPS Emails

Hi Johnny

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I am having the exact same problem since upgrading to v7.0.2a and MAPS and also need to strip out the switch name from the MAIL from field as it's being rejected. I was thinking about messing around in the sendmail.cf file but wondered if you'd found an easier way?

Thanks

Occasional Contributor

We gave up using the e-mail feature in the end.  Instead we have a script that captures snmp on a server and if the maps e-mail action is set (you can do a bitmap on the action field of the snmp message) we send an e-mail from that server instead.

New Contributor

ok thanks - seems like it's impossible to change the mail from field in the MAPS config (dumb) so I'll try something else too.

The problem I am having is that some switches append the switch name with underscores which are rejected by mimecast. The ones with switch names without underscores go through ok. 

Broadcom Moderator

I notice you referenced going TO FOS v7.0.2a and a question regarding the config of the MAPS email facility. Since the MAPS feature in FOS was not implemented until v7.2.0, you will not have any way to configure a feature which does not exist in your version.

However, if you ever do upgrade to a v7.2.x or later version, the configuration of the email recipient is quite simple:

From the command line, logged in with admin or greater priveledge,  type in the command:

mapsconfig --emailcfg -address <validemail@validserver.com>. Where there are TWO dashes in front of 'emailcfg', one dash infront of 'address' and a valid emal string. You may use multiple email recipients separated by a comma after the 'address'. This of course presumes that your management host supports a valid email client, and that it has access to the relay host pointing to a valid email server.

Best of luck.

doc

doc

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of mechantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Neither of us have problems setting the recipient of the email alert.  The problem is that you can't set the 'from address' - which in our two environments make the e-mail action unusuable.

Johnny

Broadcom Moderator

The send address of the chassis is not configurable in FOS. However, you may want to setup an SMTP forwarding relay host. To do this you would configure the relay host on the switch using: relayconfig --config -rla_ip relay_ip -rla_dname domain_name. From there, of course you would need to specify the incoming mail sender (root@switchname.domain.com) to associate with the outgoing(forwarding) mail sender address you would specify. This is beyond the scope of the FOS configuration standards.

doc

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of mechantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook