Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How do migrate from McData ED-140M to Brocade DCX? No ISL's please.

All:

we are going to replace our existing (old) McData ED-140Ms with brand new Brocade DCX SAN Switches.  I believe that there is a "tool" that will allow me to pick up my active zoneset from the ED-140M and move it to the Brocade DCX.  Does anybody know how to do that....?

We are NOT going to use an ISL, with InterOp mode and all that inconvenience.  We are just going to shut down on Switch and move cables.

Stuart Abramson

412/417-1567

Occasional Contributor

Re: How do migrate from McData ED-140M to Brocade DCX? No ISL's please.

I forgot to mention that I MUST "spoof" the FCIDs of storage and HP-UX ports on the SAN Switches; i.e. - if the FCID for HPUX Server "Server1:hba0" is "610613" on the McData ED-140M, then I need it to be "610613" on the Brocade DCX SAN Switch.  In that way, the "CxTyDz" device file names on the HP-UX servers will be the same.  Otherwise, I'll have a NIGHTHMARE matching up devices with Volume Groups.

Regular Contributor

Hi Stuart,

I'd argue that having a Brocade switch temporarily connected to your Intrepid would let DCX suck in zoning configuration at least. Once done you could reuse that data as at will be already inside DCX and in Fabric OS format. If this doesn't work for you feel free to post the current McDATA zoning configuration and I'll see what we can do to convert it into Brocade's.

As for FC address matching, provided you have port numbers to match the old values that shouldn't be a big deal -- even without Virtual Fabrics:

= Domain part can be set to 97 (0x61) on the DCX with switchDisable/configure commands.

= As long as DCX port number matches the original Area the actual number will be the same.

= Finally, portCfgAlpa command would allow you to set the lower byte to 0x13, as it is now in McDATA fabric.

Hope this helps,

Linar

Regular Contributor

As a side note, I don't believe that FCIDs of the Server ports must be the same -- these are not part of the hardware path. Only your target devices (storage) addresses are included in the hardware path, so you'd only need to spoof storage-side FCIDs.

Occasional Contributor

This is exactly correct for setting the port FCIDs!

Occasional Contributor

This is also correct!  Only the Storage Port FCIDs need to be "spoofed".  And then only for HP-UX servers (maybe AIX also, which we don't have).  Windows, AIX and ESX don't care (I'm told.).

Occasional Contributor

As far as moving the Zones, what I'm going to do is this: 1.    Set up the new switch, virtual fabrics, domain IDs, etc, the whole thing. 2.    Discover the new switches in Connectrix Manager Data Center Edition (v10); wherein the old McData SAN Switches are already discovered.  (We use Connectrix Manager to Zone.) 3.    Map out the target port locations. 4.    "spoof" the target port FCIDs for ONLY the Storage Ports.  It turns out that HP-UX CxTyDz numbers only change when the Storage Port FCID changes.           o    i.e. - if the McData Storage Port FCID was "610413" make the new Brocade Storage Prt "610413". 5.    "Save" the Zoning config for each old fabric from Connectrix Manager. 6.    "Restore" the Zoning config to the NEW Brocade DCX SAN Switch!  (This process should take only 10 minutes or so!)         Stuart

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook