Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

How can I get ISL support on my ES-4300?

I have an ES-4300 I am using in my lab to study with.  Its running 6.00.00 60

I just need to be able to connect it with an E port to my other switch.

Is it possible to upgrade and that will allow ISL, or do I need a feature key?

This is just for study.  I can't afford to buy a feature key.  I got this switch off ebay for like $25.

I just need a McData switch that I can use for interop study with my other switches.

Brian

External Moderator

Re: How can I get ISL support on my ES-4300?

--->>>Is it possible to upgrade and that will allow ISL,

Yes, you can upgrade the EOS to 9.9.x.

To allow ISL,make sure all parameters in both switch Domain ID are correct set,
and Interopmode is enable when you connect beetwen EOS to FOS

--->>>...or do I need a feature key?

No other feature are required.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response.

So obviously in earlier versions of EOS, ISL's were not possible unless you purchased a Feature License, which I don't have.  I say this because the only valid options it will allow me to set the port to is F and Fx I believe.  I was reading through the manuals and release notes for many versions, at least up through 9.6.x and they all said that 4300/4500 required the "Fabric Capable" feature license to support E port.

I will work to install the 9.9.0 so I can do ISL without the need to install any licenses......

Brian

Occasional Contributor

Ok, I just went through the process of upgrading my ES-4300 all the way from 6.00.00 to the latest 9.09.06.

It still does not support E-ports.  Everything I have read says E-ports is a feature license called "Fabric Capable".  When I goto Feature Licenses on my switch it shows only Element Manager and NPIV as installed, it shows Fabric Capable as not installed.  The description of Fabric Capable is "E-port Support". 

TechHelp24, were you mistaken in thinking I could just upgrade and get E-port support, or is there some other way?

Thanks,

Brian

External Moderator

Brian,

you want to ISL from thsi 4300 to:

another One McDATA Switch

or

Brocade Switch ?

About the E_Port, it is unkown to me any Additional E_Port Licence is available by McDATA.

What kind of Port can you select in the EFCM ? please create a screen and upload here.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

TechHelp24,

Please see the attached screenshots.  These show my version, feature licenses, as well as a screen shot of the options I have when creating a port.

I do not have "E-port" available as an option.  I am trying to connect to a Cisco MDS, and I need to select "E-port" on the McData.  I know how to interop these switches on the Cisco side. 

Please let me know if there is any way to get E-port support on this switch.  It would seem the only way is to purchase the "Fabric Capable" license.

Brian

External Moderator

Brian,

from a Feature screen shot, i note 0 Flex Port are Installed.

So i assume this is the reason that the Fabric Capable show as Disabled/ Not Installed.

probable was the switch resetted from preview owner or the License was removed.

NPIV, is Native no License is requiered and show correct as Licensed.

--->>> It would seem the only way is to purchase the "Fabric Capable" license.

First, not make sense to purchase a license, and second the Switch is End of Life and End of Sales, also you cannot longer place a order for any Additional License.

In short form you need another Switch. This 4300 is useless.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

TechHelp24,

So you think it had a flex port license before that got deleted? Is there no way to retrieve these based on serial number?

This is just for my lab, for interop testing with Cisco MDS.  I am going to try to buy another switch on ebay, an ES-3016, all I need is a McData switch to test Cisco interop with.

Brian

External Moderator

You can obtain Lost License only from Brocade Support with a Valid maintenance Contract.

BTW. this is a first time i see a McDATA Switch w/o fabric Capable License.

--->>>...an ES-3016, all I need is a McData switch to test Cisco interop with.

3016 is 1GB Switch and very old. I'm not sure which EOSc 9.x is support in order to interoperate with Cisco.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook