Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

How I can upgrade firmware Silkworm 48000?

How I can upgrade firmware Silkworm 48000? Can I upgrade online ?

I want to backup firmware and configuration before upgrade. Please, help to suggest me to backup and upgrade firmware.

External Moderator

Re: How I can upgrade firmware Silkworm 48000?

nanosec,

you cannot backup the actually installed Firmware = FabOS, but you can backup the config.

what is the exact actually installed FabOS ? and wich FabOS Rel. will you Upgrade ?

you can check trough CLI with the command "version" or "firmwareshow"

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

my recent version = Fabric OS: v5.1.0b

I want to upgrade v5.3

Can I upgrade this version online? How I should plan about roll back, if it cannot work.

External Moderator

Yes you can Upgrade to v5.3.x without problem, because the firmware upgrade is non-disprutive.

the latest release is v5.3.1

see attache Rel. Notes for details under:

Firmware Upgrades and Downgrades

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

Where can i find url download Fabric OS: v5.1.0b ? I want to download it before i do this action and make sure can roll back if it has any incident.

please, help to suggest me.

Contributor

Other question, Please help to suggest the best practice step for upgrade this firmware.

Thans for your help

External Moderator

nanosec,

you can download old FabOS here:

about download procedure, see for details the Command Reference Guide by "firmwaredownload"

Here some details:

you must have any FTP Server configured and running, unzip the FabOS file and post in the FTP Folder.

the command for upgrade trough CLI is "firmwaredownload", follow here the procedure, server IP adresse, username, user password etc.

by the file name edit here /Folder_Name/v5.3.1/release.plist

and press enter, confirm with Y to download the firmwareware.

after the first Partition is loaded the Telenet session will be closed, Open this again and login again with admin and appropiate password.

yuo can check the procedure with the command "firmwaredownloadstatus"

PLEASE HAVE BE PATIENCE BY UPGRADE, THIS DURING APPR: 30 MINUTES!

DON'T REBOOT OR POWER OFF THE SWITCH DURING UPGRADE.

after the message appear Firmware Commit is completed, is the Firmware download successfully.

can check it with the command "firmwareshow" to see all partition have the correct FabOS release loaded.

is all very simple

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
New Contributor

In addition to what SANSTRUCTURE said, I use the procedure in attached spreadsheet to follow each switch, since we apply new firmware with at least one week delay on each fabric and before firmwarecommit, and summarized hereinafter:

1.diagdisablepost

2.'firmwaredownload -s' on StdBy CP (see command below)

3.'reboot' StdBy CP

4.HA Failover (will activate new FOS version)

5.'firmwaredownload -s' on new StdBy CP

6.'reboot' new StdBy CP

7.'diagenablepost'

8.'firmwarecommit' on both CP

Hope this help.

External Moderator

stefp,

the option "-s" is intended to upgrade a single CP, and not make any sense to use this procedure, special for users that not have experince with firmware upgrade as these users "nanosec", so is the simple and surely way to upgrade without the -s option.

HA and commit will be Auto-executed by the command "firmwaredownload" after the new FabOS is loaded of both CP/Flash Partition.

Cheers

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Indeed, sanstructure, but if you want all primary partitions at the same level and still want to be able to rollback, the only way is not to commit the secondary partition, which allows a 'firmwarerestore' from secondary partition, in case of problems...

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook