Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Hitachi Replication via SAN Router

We have the Following SAN Architecture

1. DCX Backbone Fabric Consisting of 2* DCX-4S Acting as FC Routers  connecting 2 Sites over MAN Link using DWDM  . ( 1 DCX-4S present in  each site  )

2.  At each Site , we have an Edge Fabric Consisting of  1 DCX (All hosts & storages are connected here)

3. Devices are shared between the 2 Edge Fabrics using FC Routing / LSAN Zones configured at Backbone Fabric.

I have the following Questions regarding Hitachi VSP replication across the site, VSP's are connected to both edgefabrics ;i.e VSP1 hostports connected to edgefabric1 and VSP2 hostports connected to edgefabric2 at remote site and i have to decide where to connect VSP's replication ports.

1) Can i connect the VSP replication ports (Initiator & RCU Target) directly to local site FC Router instead of edge fabrics ?

2) At the moment FC Router only has E & Ex port configured (obviously) with several TI Zones configured. If step 1 is possible, can i do zoning in backbone fabric(router) between the replication ports (of VSP1 and VSP2), will it be effective ?

3) Are there any disadvantages by doing so ?

4) What are the configuration changes i need to take care so that existing infrastructure is not get disrupted ?

In a nutshell, i dont want to connect the Hitachi replication ports to edge fabrics since it will increase the number of hop counts between them & this will floodup IFL traffic.

i.e EdgefabricA-->RouterA-----------DWDM----------RouterB--->EdgefabricB.

Instead i want to connect to Router directly to reduce the hop count and also to eliminate the traffic in IFL link.

i.e RouterA-----------DWDM--------------RouterB

Please provided your valuable suggestions, if there is any ambiguity in above discussion please let me know.

Regards,

Arun

Frequent Contributor

Re: Hitachi Replication via SAN Router

Yes this is possible. From a connection standpoint both HUR or TC do not care about the topology.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Erwin;

I have the same question in virtualized environment as well.

We have single physical DCX in siteA virtualized into below logical switches.

1) Base switch ( acting as router)

2) 1st virtual switch (for unix hosts)

3) 2nd virtual switch (for wintel hosts)

Same set up in SiteB as well.

Question; is it possible to connect the F-Ports (Hitachi replication ports) in base switch which is acting as router ?

Also, please suggest the above setup is best practice to implement

Regards

Arun

Valued Contributor

Hi,

When a Virtual switch is configured as Base switch, it does not allow to have F-ports connected.

Rgds

Occasional Contributor

Thanks felipon,

So i conclude the below statement;

1) Connectivity is possible if the router is a physical hardware. i.e for example dedicated DCX-4S / 7800 etc.

2) Connectivity is not possible if the virtual switch is configured as router.

Are there any technical reason /document to support the above statement?

Thanks again for the valuable feedback.

Regards,

Arun

Valued Contributor

hi,

Take a look at the Brocade FOS Admin guide, in the Managing Virtual Fabrics chapter my statement is explained.

Rgds

Frequent Contributor

I agree with felipon. Please do some significant study of the FCR and virtual fabric principles before starting to mess around with this. It's fairly complex material and not knowing what to do can, and will, cause some major issues.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook