Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
New Contributor

HPE FC SN3000B firmware upgrades (Brocade 6505)

Hi

I need to do dome firmare upgrades from v7.2.x to v8.0.x on a couple of SN3000B switches. Reading through the release notes I can either do this distruptively but in fewer steps or non-disruptively in more steps. To minimise risk I would rather do more steps that are non-disruptive but I want to know if this is truely non-disutptive using this approach. The environment is very simple with 2 x FC switches, a small number of hosts and single storage array. Whereas some hosts are multipathed there are a couple of hosts with only a single HBA port and therefore connected to just one switch. My interpretation of 'non-disrutpive' is that a single pathed host will not suffer any outage when the switch is upgraded - is this what 'non-disruptive' means in the HPE\Brocade world or do I need to shutdown any single pathed hosts first?

Thanks in advance

Valued Contributor

Re: HPE FC SN3000B firmware upgrades (Brocade 6505)

Non-disruptive means that CP will reboot to start the new firmware, but the ASIC will continue to read and write FC frames. The end-to-end I/O will not be affected.

But since we are living in the world of bugs, there's always a small chance that something will go wrong.
New Contributor

Great - many thanks for the info

I think I need to apply the following to get from 7.2.1d to the latest version non-disruptively:

7.2.1d --> 7.3.2b --> 7.4.1e --> v8.0.2a --> v8.1.0a

does that look correct to you?

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

yes that is correct.

TL

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook