Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

HP c7000 Brocade B-series 8/24c access gateway to fabric connectivity

Hello,

I have several question regarding a HP c7000 enclosure blade I/O module Brocade B-series 8/24c which should be interconnected with a CISCO MDS NX-OS fabric using access gateway mode.

As far as I know at this point, i can group several N-ports to a N-port group each group bundled with several initiators (blades). Those F-ports are distributed along the available N-ports in the group according to policy settings (but always via a fix mapping between F and N-port, therefore no load-balancing ...).

Now I also saw in the Access Gateway Admin Guide that AG also supports trunking.

What i want to do is, enhancing the bandwidth cause with normal AG NPIV, each host only has connection viua one of the definded N-ports of the N-port group.

So what i do not understand is (i dont know if this really is possible) how to bundle N-port to a trunk and to interconnect that one to a fabric.

What i saw in the docs is that AG trunking is not supported in M-EOS and third-party switches- does that mean i cannot establish a link between AG enclosure B-series module and a CISCO fabric?

So in case this would work- will the N-ports of a AG N-port group then be bundled to form a trunking link? I did not find any example for that.

So if anyone has a clue i would be thankful for support!!!

cheers,

Andy

Valued Contributor

Re: HP c7000 Brocade B-series 8/24c access gateway to fabric connectivity

Hi,

You cannot stablish a trunk between a Brocade AG and a Cisco switch. In order to set up a trunk like the one you mention, the AG and the switch must be Brocade working in native mode.

Rgds

New Contributor

Ok- thats what i already thought.

But you say that AG and switch must be in native mode when you establish trunk between two Brocade devices- but native mode is fabric mode so AG is no AG anymore. But in AG administration guide there is stated that AG can run trunks.

Valued Contributor

AG device can be in AG mode. What I mean Native  mode is that the switch cannot be in interopmode 2-3.

External Moderator

I want just clarify somewhat, from my point of view are some post here a bit confused:

First at all, basically AG is a own Mode.

Second, If the switch is set in Native Mode, cannot be Interop-Mode 2-3

and finally, no matter if the switch is set as AG or Native, FOS 7.x ( if FOS 7.x is loaded ) not longer supported Interop-Mode.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Yes- thats clear.

Interop 2 and 3 are no longer supported by FOS 7.x and Interop 1 is gone since FOS 6.x.

Question was just if it is possible to aggregate N-port links to a CISCO fabric if Brocade is in AG mode.

But only way is now to lower the ratio from host/initiator to N-port/groups AG towards CISCO fabric.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook