Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Guidance please -

I currently have a pair of DS5000b as well as a SW200 connected to a EMC CX3-40f.  We are running out of switch ports.

I have recently proposed an additional pair of 2xDS5120.  This would be with 24ports active to start.  The DS5120s would be conencted directly to current SP ports on the CX, just like the DS5000bs (200 is ISL'd to one 5000).  I will most likely dual non-trunk ISL between the current pair and this new pair for ease of management with two fabrics.

Even so does this appear to be my best choice based on the following criteria?

1.  Port Capacity

2.  Reorganize - provide addtl dual run hosts - room to move.

3.  Additional port speed for furture growth/services

4.  Allow me to break off a pair to a secondary off site SAN (replication)

I am new to switching and hoping the community can give me a thumbs up on my choice.  I don't want to go over board and don't want to paint myself into a corner either.  A Pair of 300s would give me the same capabilites and some port capacity correct? In my case however, with ISL ports and the new hosts to be added, I would be tapped out again very shortly.

Any and all assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Super Contributor

Re: Guidance please -

>>> I currently have a pair of DS5000b as well as a SW200 connected to a EMC CX3-40f.

32 + 32 + 16 = Current Total of 80 Port

>>> A Pair of 300s would give me the same capabilites and some port capacity correct?

NO!

24 + 24 = Total of 48 Port

>>> We are running out of switch ports.

It makes no sense to Upgrade to TWO Brocade 300.

2x 5100, ( 80 Port ) is the minimum what they need, to cover the port requirement.

Super Contributor

Re: Guidance please -

why not go for 1 5300 which has 80 ports with full POD, or even you can go for 64 in the beginning and can be scalable to 80.5300 is  cost effective. always go for ISL trunks not ISLs. you need trunking  license for the same.but you will be benefitted.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook