Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Got errors on "er_rx_c3_timeout"

Hi,

I have 2 Core director, 1 Core is connected at Floor 3 and the other at floor 4. These cores are connected with two trunk, each trunk connected with multicore cable and consists of 8 port connection, so tatal is 16 connection with each connection is 8 Gig.

Many error 'timeout' happenned on my server that connected to storage through Core director floor 4.

Counting error on er_rx_c3_timeout happened in all port trunk at director core floor 4:

grep error rx c3 timeout on director core floor 4, yesterday i have clear all status these ports. No error for tx c3 timeout.

admin> for i in 1/0 1/1 1/2 1/3 1/4 1/5 1/6 1/7 2/0 2/1 2/2 2/3 2/4 2/5 2/6 2/7; do portstatsshow $i |grep er_rx_c3_timeout; done
er_rx_c3_timeout        196         Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        15138       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        15834       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        15725       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        15768       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        15429       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        14576       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        15019       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        17781       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        18368       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        18650       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        18587       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        18127       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        18565       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        17240       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        17665       Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
admin>

and these are grep error rx c3 timeout on director core floor 3:

admin> for i in 1/0 1/1 1/2 1/3 1/4 1/5 1/6 1/7 2/0 2/1 2/2 2/3 2/4 2/5 2/6 2/7; do portstatsshow $i |grep er_rx_c3_timeout; done
er_rx_c3_timeout        0           Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_rx_c3_timeout        0           Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
admin>

grep error for tx c3 timeout at director core floor 3

admin> for i in 1/0 1/1 1/2 1/3 1/4 1/5 1/6 1/7 2/0 2/1 2/2 2/3 2/4 2/5 2/6 2/7; do portstatsshow $i |grep er_tx_c3_timeout; done
er_tx_c3_timeout        0           Class 3 transmit frames discarded due to timeout
er_tx_c3_timeout        0           Class 3 transmit frames discarded due to timeout
er_tx_c3_timeout        17031       Class 3 transmit frames discarded due to timeout
er_tx_c3_timeout        10723       Class 3 transmit frames discarded due to timeout
tbs3b_cs00_018:FID128:admin>

last night i have replaced SFP and jumper cable at port 1/3 at director core floor 4, but i still got these errors.

anyone know about these problem and how to solve?

many thanks,

Valued Contributor

Re: Got errors on "er_rx_c3_timeout"

Got some questions:

-A multicore cable, did you meant a multimode or multiple fibers within a tube?

-What is your cable distance between the two directors and is it singlemode or multimode?

-What about other counters, i.e. why did you look at c3 discards only?

-What happens when you run the ISL's at 4G?

-When did this behaviour started  (i.e. after switch replacement or ....)

New Contributor

Got some questions:

-A multicore cable, did you meant a multimode or multiple fibers within a tube?

Multimode

-What is your cable distance between the two directors and is it singlemode or multimode?

about 30 meter

-What about other counters, i.e. why did you look at c3 discards only?

another counter happened at "tim_txcrd_z"

admin> portstatsshow 1/0
stat_wtx                2638046504  4-byte words transmitted
stat_wrx                381568012   4-byte words received
stat_ftx                154200890   Frames transmitted
stat_frx                258772107   Frames received
stat_c2_frx             0           Class 2 frames received
stat_c3_frx             258757997   Class 3 frames received
stat_lc_rx              7027        Link control frames received
stat_mc_rx              0           Multicast frames received
stat_mc_to              0           Multicast timeouts
stat_mc_tx              0           Multicast frames transmitted
tim_rdy_pri             135         Time R_RDY high priority
tim_txcrd_z             1176657975  Time TX Credit Zero (2.5Us ticks)
tim_txcrd_z_vc  0- 3:  0           0           1161441585  10779251
tim_txcrd_z_vc  4- 7:  3998928     438211      0           0
tim_txcrd_z_vc  8-11:  0           0           0           0
tim_txcrd_z_vc 12-15:  0           0           0           0
er_enc_in               0           Encoding errors inside of frames
er_crc                  70          Frames with CRC errors
er_trunc                0           Frames shorter than minimum
er_toolong              0           Frames longer than maximum
er_bad_eof              0           Frames with bad end-of-frame
er_enc_out              0           Encoding error outside of frames
er_bad_os               0           Invalid ordered set
er_rx_c3_timeout        8701        Class 3 receive frames discarded due to timeout
er_c3_dest_unreach      0           Class 3 frames discarded due to destination unreachable
er_other_discard        0           Other discards
er_type1_miss           0           frames with FTB type 1 miss
er_type2_miss           0           frames with FTB type 2 miss
er_type6_miss           0           frames with FTB type 6 miss
er_zone_miss            0           frames with hard zoning miss
er_lun_zone_miss        0           frames with LUN zoning miss
er_crc_good_eof         0           Crc error with good eof
er_inv_arb              0           Invalid ARB
open                    0           loop_open
transfer                0           loop_transfer
opened                  0           FL_Port opened
starve_stop             0           tenancies stopped due to starvation
fl_tenancy              0           number of times FL has the tenancy
nl_tenancy              0           number of times NL has the tenancy
zero_tenancy            0           zero tenancy

-What happens when you run the ISL's at 4G?

all Core Director using Brocade Dcx 8 Gig with firmware version v6.3.1a

-When did this behaviour started  (i.e. after switch replacement or ....)

actually, i dont know when this behaviour started

Frequent Contributor

have you looked at portcfgfillword?, this is 8Gbps specific

Frequent Contributor

(Is this already solved?)

No tx timeout? Smells like a stuck vc. Had one last week where both internal links of the same internal trunk were both affected on the same VC. It makes sense to open a case with your maintenance provider (if not already done, since the question is from March) and let him check the internal counters.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook