Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Forcing the domain ID on a switch

Hello,

I want/need the domain ID of a swith to be set to an arbitrary value.

I've tried on a "standalone" switch running with DID 1 up to now. It sort of made me think it accepted the change, but on the web interface DID 1 was still displayed and the zoning Java utility, ports were still shown with domain ID 1.

How can I eventually change the domain ID ?

The zoning in the fabric uses only WWN based aliases. I guess this domain ID change shouldn't have any impact, besides the fact that the switch needs to be disabled.

Regards

Hubert.

External Moderator

Re: Forcing the domain ID on a switch

Hubert,

why do you want change the Domain ID ? and what is the reason ?

Your have here configure zoning is correct ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

This switch is about to be connected to another one, and later on a third and a fourth switch will join the fabric.

I'd really love to set the domain ID of each switch to a determined value before they are connected to one another.

Thence, I'd be sure the domain IDs are compatible and moreover the'd be consistent with our naming convention.

The current zoning on this first switch with domain ID 1 and WWN based aliases and zones seems correct as long as the servers can see the disks and tapes systems.

During the DID change test operation, I had shut down all the servers (I could manage to get a downtime period) just in case... And as the information displayed on the web and Java interfaces still mentioned the old DID (i.e. 1) I stopped there and "rollbacked" the DID change.

Is there anyway I can have the DID set to a determined value ?

If so, must I re-create the whole fabric/zoning config ex nihilo ? Even though, the current zoning config is based on WWN based aliases ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Hubert.

External Moderator

Hubert,

Change the Domain ID is very simple. set first the Switch of Disable, and then change the ID, Enable the switch again after the ID is changed.

Please note, by Disable the Switch in the meantime DID is changed, alle connection are lost.

About your WWN config, here no give a standard answer, in the most case must the Switch re-config now. All depend your SAN Topology and design.

You wrote here:

--->>> This switch is about to be connected to another one, and later on a third and a fourth switch will join the fabric.

If you intend to add this switch in the same fabric trough ISL, you must re-config this switch now , because you cannot have 2 Active config in the same fabric.

With other word, delete the config this sencond switch, connect to the first, the active switch merge the config automatically to the secon switch.

This is the best way.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Thank you for your answers.

My concern was that when I tried the disable-changeDID-enable operation, the zoning java interface was still showing domain ID 1 in the list of FC ports. Even after a switch reboot.

I was sort of sure of the connection loss that was why I had chosen to put the connected servers offline.

I was actually planning to deconfigure the 2nd, 3rd and 4th switch before they join the first.

Regards,

Hubert.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.