Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Firmware upgrade from 6.3.0 to 6.4.0

We have new 5300 (not in production till now)switch with FOS  v6.3.0b . Can we upgrade the firmware to v6.4.0b . Please suggest and provide the url of administrator's guide of 6.4.0

Super Contributor

Re: Firmware upgrade from 6.3.0 to 6.4.0

Upgrade to 6.4.1 if you have access to the firmware, has some good features.

Documentation is available on the horizontal bar above OR by clicking the link below. But this is probably a restricted to customers and partners.

http://my.brocade.com/wps/myportal/documentation

You may find the guide on your OEM website - for ex HP ITRC or Powerlink

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for reply.

I am able to download Fabric OS v6.4.0b from website .will it be ok vesion to upgrade . ?

Super Contributor

It should be fine - you may however read the release notes for the FOS release and check compatibility etc. I have upgraded very recently from 6.3.0b to 6.4.1 without any problems.

Firmware upgrades and downgrades

Upgrading to Fabric OS 6.4.0b is allowed only from Fabric OS 6.3.x. The policy to support one-level migration only, which began with Fabric OS 6.0.0, provides more reliable and robust migrations. By having fewer major changes in internal databases, configurations, and subsystems, the system can perform the upgrade more efficiently, ensuring a truly seamless and nondisruptive process for the fabric. The one-release migration policy also reduces the number of upgrade-downgrade permutations that must be tested, allowing for thorough testing and verification of supported migration paths.

If you are migrating from Fabric OS 6.1.x, HP recommends that you use Fabric OS 6.2.2c as the migration path to 6.3.x, and on to 6.4.0a in order to reduce the risk of exposure to known issues at earlier 6.2.x levels.

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=3185358&swItem=co-85188-1&prodNameId=3185361&swEnvOID=54&swLang=8&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

Please mark the answer helpful or the thread as answered.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for quick response ..

I have one more query ...i have gone through the FOS release of v6.4.0 and i found the following comments like :

If Bottleneck detection feature is currently enabled on the switch running FOS v6.3.x, you must disable it before upgrading to FOS v6.4.0; otherwise, frame drops may occur due to increased Hot Code Load (HCL) time.

As i have a new switch that is not in production and no devices are attached though .

So as per my understanding Bottleneck detection feature must be disabled initially .

I have also tried following command and the output was none

CSFSW11:FID128:admin> bottleneckmon --status
CSFSW11:FID128:admin>

Any suggestions would be appreciated ...Thanks!!!

Super Contributor

Since your switch is not in production its no problem, and it does not look like bottleneckmon is enabled on your switch anyways.

Happy upgrade

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook