Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Firmware upgrade for Brocade SAN 320 & 7800 Series

Hi,

I am trying to upgrade firmware (FOS) of my Brocade SAN 320 Series switch and 7800 Series router. I tried looking information in the release notes and even in the Brocade website regarding the firmaware upgrade but I couldn't find any. I would really appreciate if anyone that reads this would able to provide me with some information. Few questions :

1) If the FOS is lower than v 6.4.1a, it must be upgraded to v 6.4.1a before upgrading to v 7.0.0c GA?

2) When I issue a " firmwaredownload " command, will the Brocade 320 & 7800 device perform auto installation of the firmware? Do I need to configure anything else to complete the installation?

3) For the firmware upgrade, do I need to check the amount of space available before uploading the firmware into the switch? Is it necessary?

4) What are the proper steps required to upgrade the firmware? Any useful documentation or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Valued Contributor

Re: Firmware upgrade for Brocade SAN 320 & 7800 Series

1> FOS releases support only a one step upgrade from FOS 5.3 . In other words from 6.3 > 6.4 > 7 and not 6.3 > 7

2> Firmwaredownload does the downloading, installing in 1st and 2nd partition, hareboot-ing as default behaviour. You only need to config a FTP server.

3> You can check, but is should not be necessarry

4> I'm unsure what you mean with proper steps? If its the FOS steps you have to take goto 1. Otherwise its as easy as setup FTP and point firmwaredownload to the right server and directory.

Contributor

Hi Dion,

Appreciate the reply. Referring to point number 1, if the firmware version is v 5.3, can I upgrade it to v 6.4 and then proceed with v 7.0?

In summary, for the firmware upgrade, I just need to configure the ftp server and point the firmwaredownload to the right ftp server and directory where the firmware is stored?

Thanks..

Regular Contributor

Hi -

as Dion wrote you have to upgrade to FOS 6.3 before 6.4.

See 6.3 release notes :

"

Firmware Upgrades and Downgrades

Upgrading to Fabric OS v6.3.0 is only allowed from Fabric OS v6.2.0 or later. This policy to support

only one-level migration, which began with FOS v6.0.0, provides more reliable and robust migrations

for customers.

"

Thus supported upgrade path from 5.3 to 7.0 should be the following : 5.3 -> 6.0 -> 6.1 -> 6.2 -> 6.3 -> 6.4 -> 7.0. But as far as I know only 8G devices supports 7.0, and are beginning with 6.0 FOS (not 5.3)

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

--

david

Contributor

Hi David/Dion,

Thanks for the reply. I have a question regarding IPsec for 7800 Series, actually when I tried to execute the command ' policy –create type number ' in the 7800 router, it pops out a message stating ' Command not supported for this platform '. When I typed 'licenseshow' it mentions 'High Performance Extension over FCIP/FC license' . Why can't I run the policy command although I have the license installed? The FOS version that I am running is v 6.4. I am trying to configure IPsec over FCIP, thanks guys.

Regular Contributor

I'm not familiar with IPsec setup on Brocade routers, I won't be able to answer.

Maybe you should open a new thread because it's not really related with firmware upgrade

Kind regards,

--

david

Contributor

Noted, thanks for the information...Just one last question, when I upload the firmware (FOS) into the switch, will it overide the old one? AFAIK, it will be stored in the secondary partition and will be transferred automatically to the primary partition upon reload. I am just worried that the Brocade 320 switch and 7800 router won't have enough space to store the new firmware. The FOS filesize is huge. Will it be a problem?

Regular Contributor

Daniel,

you don't have to worry about filesize at all and the way it's upgraded. If target microcode is supported on your hardware all will be fine !

Kind regards,

--

david

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook