Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Fabric Segmented and some of the Server/Host Traffic is disrupt

Hi All,

I've an experience when merging two switch become one Fabric. The existing Switch is A ( DCX; FOS v7.0.0c ), the new Switch is Switch B ( SW M5424; FOS v7.1.0a ). Our customer already set the Domain ID from Switch B different with Switch A, after they connecting the Port on Switch A become segmented ( Domain IDs Overlap ) and Zone conflict. After that some of the Server which is zoning by LSAN the LUN from storage is missing. And then we disabled the segmented port after that the Server is back to normal.

My question is :

1. Can segmented state disrupt traffic on a Fabric? If yes how come only impact to Server which is zoning by LSAN and the other zone is safe.

2. Is there any other requirement when we want to connect this switch?

3. Are this FOS is supported for ISL connection.

Thank You,

Fadlito 

Valued Contributor

Re: Fabric Segmented and some of the Server/Host Traffic is disrupt

[ Edited ]

Hi,

How many switchs were there in the Fabric? are you using Virtual Fabrics? because If the ISL reported Domain IDs overlap, and DCX and M5424 have different Domain IDs, the M5424 Domain ID must have coincide with some other switch in the fabric.

In response to youir questions:

1. Can segmented state disrupt traffic on a Fabric? If yes how come only impact to Server which is zoning by LSAN and the other zone is safe. Probably FCR traffic is more sensitive to Fabric changes and reconfigs. Or maybe is that very server is more sensitive to timeouts and delays.

2. Is there any other requirement when we want to connect this switch? 

When connecting two switches together, you need to verify that the following parameters are different:

• Domain ID
  • Switch name
  • Chassis name

You must also verify the following fabric parameters are identical on each switch for a fabric to merge:

• R_A_TOV
  • E_D_TOV
  • Data field size
  • Sequence level switching
  • Disable device probing
  • Suppress class F traffic
  • Per-frame route priority
  • BB credit
  • PID format

3. Are this FOS is supported for ISL connection. Yes, sir.

Rgds,

Felipe

Occasional Contributor

Re: Fabric Segmented and some of the Server/Host Traffic is disrupt

Hi Felipe,

Below is my response.

How many switchs were there in the Fabric?

3 Switches

are you using Virtual Fabrics?

VF is disabled

because If the ISL reported Domain IDs overlap, and DCX and M5424 have different Domain IDs, the M5424 Domain ID must have coincide with some other switch in the fabric.

Yes we already set the different Domain ID for M5424.

Yes i think i must re check another parameter that must be set same and different for this ISL connectivity, and i think i must

set defzone --allaccess for Switch M5424 too.

Thank's for your answer Felipe.

Regards,

Fadlito

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook