Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Fabric OS Upgrade Matrix

So I am realtively new to Brocade having spent the last 10 years doing Cisco and old McData.  I am beginning a project to upgrade 100+ fabric switches with various firmware levels on them to the same version.  Is there a documented firmware matrix that is out there to show which firmware versions and what they can be upgraded to?  It seems that firmware levels must be stepped incrementally so you couldn't go from v 6.1.0 to 7.0 without stepping it.

Secondly, most of our switches are in the 6.x.x range.  Would you recommend going to v 7.0?

Thanks in advance!

Occasional Contributor

Re: Fabric OS Upgrade Matrix

Hi,

When I have every updated the FOS on any switch I do it on incremental as shown. below is the upgrade path that I have used.

5.1 to 5.2 to 5.3 to 6.0 to 6.1 to 6.2 to 6.3 to 6.4 then 7.0a (have not done 7.0b yet on any switch)

Just remember to make sure that the switch supports the version you are loading.

Other than that, always take a backup of the configuration.... has saved me a few time.

Hope this helped

Regards

Craig

Occasional Contributor

So as long as it is from 6.1 -> 6.2 it doesn't matter about the rev letter.  So you wouldn't have to go 6.1.1a to 6.2.1a correct?  So am I to assume that these are incremental changes to the OS and not a full copy?  Does this make sense.

BTW thaks for the reply.

Super Contributor

All FOS code versions are full packages.

I would prefere to take the latest version from each code family which is supported by your OEM / service partner.

As well have a look on each release notes document if you have limitations or pre requirements for the update procedure.

In some release notes you find Recommended Migration Paths.

Check from your latest level backward.

It is possible to jump from 6.3.0b to 6.4.2a but may be not the recommended way. Take this as an example. I havn't check it if this can be done without any pain.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

PS: Here in the documentation section can you find a best practise guide for firmware update procedure

Contributor

You can upgrade from family to family with no issues. I.E. 6.0.x to 6.1.x to 6.2.x to 6.3.x to 6.4.x

Have done this many times on switches and directors. One thing that you will need to ensure is that each switch model is supported. You can find this in the release notes for each FOS version.

If you have B200 switches they stopped at the 6.2.x code level as an example. If you have a good relationship with your Brocade pre-sales SE you can run a SAN health report and copy him on when you run it and the SE will usually advise you on the code levels as well.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks all for the responses.  Brocade seems to be a little more challenging then the Cisco side. I appreciate all the responses.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook