Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

FabOS upgrade failing on one CP

I am upgrading a 48000 Switch from 5.3.2 to 6.0.1a.  I did this to other switches with no issues.  As I was updating this switch over an SSH session, I noticed my session dropped due to network issues on my end, not due to the completeion of the firmware.  I figured the upgrade would continue on, but I guess it stopped half way.  I initiated a fail over of the  CP and was able to upgrade that one to 6.0.1a from 5.3.2.  Now when I try to upgrade this CP I get the following error:

Firmware is being downloaded to standby CP. This step may take up to 30 minutes.
Firmware is being downloaded to Standby CP. Please wait...
Firmware download failed on standby CP - Unable to uninstall old packages. Contact your provider for assistence. (0x21)
Please use firmwaredownloadstatus and firmwareshow to see the firmware status.

The CPs are at different firmware levels now.  Is there something I can do to allow me to upgrade this CP?  Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: FabOS upgrade failing on one CP

It is correct that SSH close the session during Upgrade procedure, but i think the problem is caused because you have interrupted the download.

post here the result of "firmwareshow" collect the output from "errshow" and upload here.

Occasional Contributor

Update:   After looking in log files and comparing timestamps on files I saw where the process was stopping.  On the problem CP I moved the contents of SWBD42 to SWBD42old ..in both /mnt/var/images and /var/images. I then re ran the firmwaredownload and it worked. I suppose this was do to a half downloaded installation.

Occasional Contributor

I've tried going from 6.0.1a to 6.1.2b on my core 48000 director.  The firmware will download and then fail saying unknown error.  I tried failing over the CP and doing it on that one, and it does the same.  The firmware looks like it has applied to the Secondary partition and not the primary. It fails with unknown error.

fimrwaredownloadstatus

Slot Name     Appl     Primary/Secondary Versions               Status
------------------------------------------------------------------------
  5  CP0      FOS      v6.0.1a                                  ACTIVE *
                               v6.1.2b                                 
  6  CP1      FOS      v6.0.1a                                  STANDBY
                               v6.1.2b                                

errshow

2010/02/02-12:55:18, , 140243,, WARNING, ED_48000B, Firmwaredownload command has started.

2010/02/02-12:55:18, , 140244,, INFO, ED_48000B, The current Version: Fabric OS v6.0.1a  

2010/02/02-13:25:19, , 140245,, INFO, ED_48000B, Firmwaredownload command failed. Unknown error.

Super Contributor

You cannot move file from One folder to another

--->>>On the problem CP I moved the contents of SWBD42 to SWBD42old ..

log as root, and try /df

what is the percentage of available space ?

I believe the CF is full.

the error you post here 1001 and 1036 are informativ, but not 1011 this indicate to 1009 table.

are other error listed in the errshow output ?

Occasional Contributor

The moving of the folder was on the edge switch, sorry this issue is now on my core switch.  It would download all the files for 6.1.2b, apply on the secondary partition of the standby CP and on the firmwarecommit it would fail.  I've since gone back to v6.0.1b, however I would like to continue the upgrade to v6.1.2b.

Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root               495016    180572    288892  38% /
/dev/hda1               494984    173368    296068  37% /mnt

Super Contributor

have you start the upgrade "firmwaredownlod" with any operand's ?

--->>> I've since gone back to v6.0.1b,....

i would downgrade now to 6.0.1b and the restart the upgrade with 6.1

firmwarecommit work only when the upgrade was started with the operands -n

Are both CP correct in Sync ?

Occasional Contributor

5  CP0      FOS      v6.0.1a                                  STANDBY
                               v6.0.1a                                 
  6  CP1      FOS      v6.0.1a                                  ACTIVE *
                               v6.0.1a                                

I've gone back to v6.0.1a .. I can retry the upgrade.  I saw the firmwarecommit would fail in the firmwaredownloadstatus log.  If it does it this time I will post that message as well as the errshow.

Super Contributor

restart the firmwaredownload with another Release if you have access, use as example any 6.1.1

Occasional Contributor

I tried the upgrade again and it worked this time.  I then tried the process on my edge switch which also failed the first time, then I went back to v.6.0.1 and then did the firmware upgrade again and it worked.

5  CP0      FOS      v6.1.2b                                  STANDBY
                               v6.1.2b                                 
  6  CP1      FOS      v6.1.2b                                  ACTIVE *
                               v6.1.2b     

Are there any issues running one fabric at one firmware and the other fabric and at a lower firmware version?  The devices are connected to both fabrics so I do not want to cause any issues for them.  My intention is to upgrade the other fabric, in about 30 days.                          

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook