Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

FOS upgrade fails with it not being able to find release.plist

Trying to perform update of FOS from 6.4.3b to 6.4.3d (as part of upgrading to 7.3x). Keeps failing saying that switch is unable to find the release.plist file. I've directed switch to look at specific folder for the switch (type 71.2 - 300 8GB). Checked username was okay and successfully uploaded the config file to the server (USING SCP).

Anyone seen similar issues?

Valued Contributor

Re: FOS upgrade fails with it not being able to find release.plist

"I've directed switch to look at specific folder for the switch" - that's the problem. Point the firmwaredownload to the upper level folder and it'll be fine. Yes, even though there's no release.plist file in there!
New Contributor

Hi Alexey

many thanks for responding. But, i ddi what you suggested in the first instance. It was when i continually got the error that I attempted to point it to exactly where the plist file resided for that particular type of switch.

I've done many in the last 6 months all of them doing what you pointed out, but on this occasion it hasn't worked.

Valued Contributor

"Trying to perform update of FOS from 6.4.3b to 6.4.3d (as part of upgrading to 7.3x)" - just as a workaround. You don't have to get to 6.4.3d (which isn't latest GA of 6.4x BTW) while upgrading to 7.3. From your current level, you can get straight to the latest GA of 7.0x. Maybe you'll have some more luck this way?
New Contributor

Hi Alexey

yep, tried that too. I tried 7.0.0a and 7.0.0c. Still gave me the same error.

Occasional Contributor

I your firmware is on a Windows server, change the back-slashes to forward-slashes. I.E. change firmware\switches\v7.1.2 to firmware/switches/7.1.2

Regular Visitor

Hi zamkam,

Were you able to solve the original problem in the meantime?
I currently have the same problem with v6.4.3d firmware download.
Occasional Visitor

We are having the same issue. I suspect though that the problem is lies with the scp/sftp implementation. How can the firmwaredownload command NOT take a password as input? Also the error messages - all they tell is that one of many different errors has occurred. Does anyone have an idea how to resolve this? FC5022:admin> firmwaredownload Server Name or IP Address: 192.168.70.222 User Name: dale77:**filtered** File Name: /v7.4.1a Network Protocol(1-SCP, 2-SFTP) [1]: 2 Do you want to input SFTP options (Y/N) [N]: Verifying if the public key authentication is available.Please wait ...Success. Server IP: 192.168.70.222, Protocol IPv4 Checking system settings for firmwaredownload... Failed to access sftp://dale77\:**********@192.168.70.222//v7.4.1a/release.plist The server is inaccessible or firmware path is invalid. Please make sure the server name/IP address and the firmware path are valid, the protocol and authentication are supported. It is also possible that the RSA host key could have been changed and please contact the System Administrator for adding the correct host key.

We had the same problem. It turns out if I use FTP instead of SCP it downloads the firmware fine - SCP is broken on versions 6.4.1b and 7.1.0a. What was confusing is there is SCP/SSH traffic when using that protocol, it just doesn't work and returns that deceptive error.

@pcrookerspot on. Once past 7.1.0 ssh-related functionality works much better.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook