Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor
Accepted Solution

FOS Version & ISL Trunking

I have two Brocade SAN switches (each has a trunking license).  The two switches have three E-Port connections between them but, at this point, are just single/failover connections.  I'd like to trunk two of the links but have two questions:

1.  One switch is a SAN Director (48000) running FOS 6.4.3.  The other is a 5300 running FOS 7.0.0.c.  Is it possible to create a trunk under these circumstances?

2.  What are the steps to trunk the ports and is it disruptive to traffic during the implementation?

Thanks!

External Moderator

Re: FOS Version & ISL Trunking

David,

to Question 1 the answer is yes, FOS 6.4.3 is full Compatible and Certified with FOS 7.0.x and higher.

details about compatibility are descripted in the FOS Release Notes.

about

-->>The two switches have three E-Port connections....are just single/failover connections.  I'd like to trunk two of the links

what your mean with ?

you can create a Trunk in the same Octect i.e. Port 0-7; 8-15 and so on if you want to create TWO Trunk Group beetwen both switches, best practices is to create trunk in different Octet.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Antonio,

Thanks for the info on the versions; that's good news.  On my second question, here's what I have

Switch A    Switch B

=================

Port 168     Port 0      <-- Active Link

Port 169     Port 1

Can I trunk these ports without affecting traffic?

External Moderator

David,

yes, you use this Port to build a trunk.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Thanks!  So it is just a matter of issuing the following on each switch?

Switch A

===================

portcfgtrunkport 168, 1

portcfgtrunkport 169, 1

Switch B

===================

portcfgtrunkport 0, 1

portcfgtrunkport 1, 1

External Moderator

usually is trunking by default enable, and whe you plug the cable trunk will formed itself

if is not, the command on Blade Switches must be i.e.

portcfgtrunkport slotnumber / portnumber mode

in example - this refer to DCX 8 Slot chassis

portcfgtrunkport 4/40 1

where

4 = Slot

40 = is the Port

1 = is mode enable

TechHelp24
Contributor

OK, good deal.  I issued the portcfgtrunkport commands on both switches and got the following:  "Same configuration for port (<port x>)" so it definitely seems to be enabled.  When I do a trunkshow on the both switches I get "No trunking links."

One thought, these ports were active before I installed the trunking license; do I need to disable/re-enable the ports to get them to recognized the trunk?

External Moderator

After you enter a license, the licensed product is generally available immediately without requiring further action. The following exceptions apply:

•Some licenses may require you to refresh the ports before to activate the license. Depending on your system, use the portDisable/portEnable, switchDisable/switchEnable or chassisDisable/chassisEnable commands to refresh the ports.

•Some licenses may require that you reboot the switch to activate the license. The licenseAdd command will prompt you to reboot the switch.

keep in mind, the command are disruptive.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Thanks!  I disabled/re-enabled the "non-active" ports first and the trunk formed.  A trunkshow shows the trunk so all is good.  I appreciate the help!

I have Brocade FC switch with 6.3.2 fos and another switch having 7.1 FOS..Can I perform fabric merging these two switches..

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook