Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

FCR setup and license question

I have the following:

SW1 FID 128           SW3 FID 128                 SW5 FID 120
DCX-8510 < ICL > DCX 8510 < DWDM > DCX850

I want to set up FCR between SW3 & SW5 using SW3 as the backbone.

I would do an EX port on SW3 to a E port on SW5

I have devices on SW1 I want to route to SW5

My questions are:

1) Do I need an IR license on only SW3, or both SW3 & SW5, or all of them SW1, SW3, and SW5?

2) Can an LSAN zone member contain entries that are physically connected on SW1 to be exported to SW5 ?

Thanks.

External Moderator

Re: FCR setup and license question

@pauldh

--->>>1) Do I need an IR license on only SW3, 

yes, you need to Licensing IR accord you design only on SW3

--->>>2) Can an LSAN zone member contain entries that are physically connected on SW1 to be exported to SW5 ?

can you please explain a bit more ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the response on the license question.

For #2, if I have a host connected to SW1 (SW1 & SW3 are running the config, connected by ICL links) will I be able to use an LSAN zone on on that config that contains a WWPN logged into a port on SW1 and the WWPN of a port logged into SW5?

Thanks so much for your help!

External Moderator

Paul,

Good Question.....

I don't think such Hop config is supported.

I would suggest to get in touch with you Local Brocade SE or OEM Provider.

TechHelp24
Brocade Moderator

1) yes switch 3 IR license is enough.

2) when you enable the EX port on switch 3 the switch 1 and 3 will build the backbone fabric and you can share devices with swich  5 regardless where they are connected in the backbone fabric.

TL

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I understand your second question.

I see that you have a FID 128 on both SW1 and SW3. If you are introducing the FCR in the middle of your fabric, it has to have a FID which is different from all the edge FIDs. And all the edge FIDs have to be different too.

So the simple picture will have to be a little bit different when you will turn on FCR:

Base & FCR

SW1 FID 128           SW3 FID 130           SW5 FID 120
DCX 8510    < ICL >   DCX 8510    < DWDM >  DCX 8510

And this means that you will not be able to run the same zoning config between SW1 and SW3.

FCR-enabled FID itself also can't have any F-Ports, i.e. direct connections to the end devices.

I don't think you will like the idea to dedicate the entire DCX chassis to FCR, so here you might need to introduce the VF logical switches. This way you will split the SW3 in two pieces, one of them will become the Base FID with FCR, and another one will become the edge FID - it will share the same FID with SW1 like you have it today and it will continue to be an extension of the SW1.

Beware that in this case you will need to dedicate a number of physical ISL (actually IFL) connections between the E-ports in the edge FID and EX ports in the FCR FID. You might even have these connections going from SW3 chassis back to SW3 chassis (but between ports allocated to different FIDs) - I know this is weird, but this is really working this way!

Occasional Contributor

Thank you. I'm hoping it will work this way. I will update the message forum after I'm able to test. 

Brocade Moderator

Alexey,

I think he just wants to do Backbone to Edge routing which would work as described.

You are correct with what you are saying, but the scenario you are describing is Edge to Edge Routing with a muliple Logical Switch Backbone routing through the VF Base switch.

TL

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Occasional Contributor

Thomas,

Yes, I'm hoping it works as you describe. I am not interested in having SW1 & SW3 as separate fabrics. I should be testing in a week or so and I will update the thread. Thanks Antonio, Thomas, and Alexey for your assistance.

Paul

Valued Contributor

Paul, sorry about this confusion, your planned setup is indeed good and it should work. Good luck!

Shame on me, I didn't even know that FCR is possible without VF!!! :)

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook