Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

FCIP topology questions

Hi,

Question 1:

I have two DCXs with FR4-18i blades. They are thousands of miles apart and would like to configure FCIP with Integrated routing between them.

If I use VEX_port on one side, I would need VE_port on the other side, so the fabric in one side will include the WAN part, with the disruption and repeated re-convergence problems that may come with that.

What would you do to avoid that? Maybe virtual fabrics to isolate the WAN??

Question 2:

In the case I have DCX in one side and 7800 in the other, is this topology supported?:

SAN1---DCX-VEX_port<--->FCIP_WAN<--->VE_port--7800--EX_port<--->E_port-DCX<--->SAN2

Thanks in advance!

Occasional Contributor

Re: FCIP topology questions

I just realized that the question 2 is not supported as it would have two "X" ports in the path... and that is not supported by Brocade.

Therefore, I don't see a way to isolate the WAN from the prod fabrics if you are using DCXs on both sides.

Any guess??

Thanks

Valued Contributor

AFAIK off and seen deployed ---- --wan/xwdm/native-- ---- is supported.

sw - switch

mpr - routing/protocol switch

This leaves you with 3 fabrics.

On the left (sw1) and right (sw2) an edge fabric and in the middle a backbone fabric.

Usually the backbone contains no devices. Create an LSAN zone in both edge fabrics among other things and your good to go.

Super Contributor

Be aware that you can't connect FR4-18i via FCIP to 7800.

As well introducing VF makes the administration a bit more complex.

I your case and if budget is OK use two7800 and create a backbone to isolate both SANs. Depending on your distance and bandwidth demand check if the 7800E fit to your environment.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Thank you both.

I didn't know you couldn't connect FR4-18i to 7800 via FCIP...that reduces the possibilities.

I know that the recommended topology is Edge-Backbone-Edge, but as soon as we already have DCX with FR4-18i in one side, I think there's no way to build it. AFAIK, the only thing we could do is :

Fabric1<-->DCX--VEX_port<----FCIP---->VE_port--DCX<-->Fabric2

The problem is that Fabric2 will be exposed to the WAN issues.

Including VF would complicate the environment but at least we would have an isolated Fabric2.

Regards

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook