Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

FCIP committed bandwidth

Hi experts,

When I configure FCIP for the brocade 7800 series router, it will prompt me to specify the minimum and maximum committed rate in kbps. This link is mainly used for replicated data to move across the WAN link. Question is :

1) Whenever there's no replicated data moving across the WAN link, will it still reserve the minimum bandwidth for replication or other applications can use the bandwidth?

For example, a FCIP tunnel is created from point A to B with a committed minimum rate of 2000kbps and maximum rate of 4000kbps. Whenever there's no replicated data moving across the link at a specific time, will the Brocade 7800 release the 2000kbps for other applications?

2) Is there a recommended percentage of bandwidth that needs to be reserved for replication?

3) Do I need to manually configure the VE port whenever I create the FCIP tunnel or the switch will automatically create the VE port, which is either port 16 or 17 after I've created the FCIP tunnel.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Frequent Contributor

Re: FCIP committed bandwidth

>> Whenever there's no replicated data moving across the link at a specific  time, will the Brocade 7800 release the 2000kbps for other  applications?

When you have a link with good quality and low retransmissions your bandwidth will approach the maximum rate.

When your link quality worsens and you have high retransmissions your bandwidth will be automatically adjusted down to the minimum rate.

This is the meaning of these parameters, there is no link reservation on the physical link. So this bandwidth can be used by other flows.

>> Is there a recommended percentage of bandwidth that needs to be reserved for replication?

Yes, but this parameter depends on your application bandwidth requirements and your storage vendor requirements as well.

>> Do I need to manually configure the VE port whenever I create the FCIP

You have to portcfgpersistentdisable the ports before you begin configuration and portcfgpersistentenable when you finish.

Take a look at the FCIP Administrators Guide. It has the detailed steps how to configure tunnels.

Contributor

Hi Neverdie,

Last question, I noticed that my router (7800 Series) doesn't come together with the Advance Extension license installed. If that's the case, what should I do if my lease line is only running on 8Mbps? I can't configure any rate limiting which is below than 8Mbps. The router will prompt a message "Bandwidth for tunnel is too low". The minimum that I am able to configure the committed rate is 10Mbps...is it a must for me to obtain the license if I want to limit traffic below 10Mbps??

Frequent Contributor

The commitment is intended for cases where you have more than one tunnel, so that the tunnels don't content among them. The minimum is 10000 kbps for one tunnel, independent of any license.

You can configure the port without specifying a committment.

If you want to shape the traffic in your WAN link where you have different applications you should use a traffic shaper appliance. Consult with Brocade if your favorite traffic shaper is compatible with FCIP before buying one.

Best regards

Contributor

Hi Neverdie/guys,

You did mentioned that we don't need to configure the committed rate...However, when I tried to configure the FCIP tunnel, it mentions that I need to include the committed rate otherwise it won't accept the configuration as shown below. It's not an optional field.

portcfg fciptunnel 17 create 192.168.40.2 192.168.40.1
Invalid value specified for comm rate option. Valid values are <1544-1000000>.

portcfg fciptunnel <ve-port> <create|modify|delete>
  create parameters:
    <remoteIp> <localIp> <committedRate>
                    or
    <remoteIp> <localIp> --min-comm-rate <kbps> --max-comm-rate <kbps>

optional tunnel args:
      -f, --fastwrite              - turn fastwrite on
      -t, --tape-pipelining        - turn tape-pipelining on
      -N, --no-read-pipelining     - turn off tape read-pipelining
      -c, --compression <0-4>      - set compression mode
                                     (0=Off 1=Std 2=Mod 3=Aggressive 4=Auto)
      -T, --tperf                  - turn TPerf Test Mode on
     -n, --remote-wwn <rem-wwn>   - specify remote switch WWN
      -d, --description <desc>     - A string description of the tunnel
      -i, --ipsec                  - Enable IPSec
      -K, --key <key>              - Specify preshared key (32 bytes)
      -l, --legacy                 - For use with IPSec to allow connection
                                     to IPSec enabled tunnels running older
                                     firmware.
      -q, --qos <high>,<med>,<low> - set QoS percentage for all priorities
          --qos-high <percentage>  - set QoS percentage for High priority
          --qos-med <percentage>   - set QoS percentage for Medium priority
          --qos-low <percentage>   - set QoS percentage for Low priority
      -F, --ficon                  - Enable FICON emulation for this tunnel

The version that my SAN router (7800 Series) is currently running is v7.0.0c. My lease line is 8Mbps, and the brocade san router only accepts minimum 10Mbps for the committed rate, it doesn't make sense if i configure 10Mbps right?

Regards.

Frequent Contributor

Hi Daniel,

For your platform (7800) your minimum committed rate is 10000 kbps. You can create your fcip tunnel as uncommitted by specifying 0 in the commit rate.

Best regards,

Contributor

Hi,

I've tried with "0" but it appears the below message :

PGHQSANRT:admin> portcfg fciptunnel 17 create 192.168.40.2 192.168.40.1 0
Tunnel/Circuit Bandwidth too low

regards.

Frequent Contributor

Hmm, this condition is unknown to me. As far as I know setting it to 0 will create an uncommited tunnel. I believe this is a limitation of your 7800 platform that you have to set it to minimum of 10000 or higher.

Best regards,

Contributor

Hi Neverdie,

Thanks..but will it cause any problem if I connect it to a lease line of 8Mbps and set the committed rate to 10000kbps since this is the minimum that I can set for the committed rate?

Regards.

External Moderator

as descrive from neverdie is correct, i believe you have a mismatch config in FCIP Tunnel.

you should check at triple time the config before procede with other step.

...is my opinion

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.