Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

FC8-64, E-ports and EX-ports

I am migrating hosts and storage from a McData SAN to Brocade DCX. The DCX has four FC8-64 and one FC8-48 installed. Each of the cards on the DCX has an EX-port defined on it connecting back to the McData SAN to facilitate migration. A majority of hosts has now been migrated to the Brocade DCX.

This past weekend, when I migrated storage subsystems to the DCX, I had to also connect our Brocade 7800 extension routers. The 7800s carry our Global Mirror traffic to 7800 routers at the DR site. In other words, I am connecting EX-ports on the 7800 to E-ports on the DCX.

When I connected the EX-ports from the 7800s to the DCX I first chose ports on one of the FC8-64 cards, and the ports disabled themselves. However, when I connect the 7800 to the FC8-48 card the E-ports came online.

Is there a limitation on the FC8-64 that prevents E-ports and EX-ports from existing together on the same card?

dj1
Contributor

Re: FC8-64, E-ports and EX-ports

Hi,

Are the SFP's in the 7800 ports which you are connecting to the DCX longwave sfp? If so then thats probably your problem. The FC8-64 blade does not support longwave sfp's.

Hope this helps.

D

Contributor

All of the SFPs in my four 7800 are SW (850nm).  I have PMH open with IBM for this, but I have to find a time to shut down my mirrors and re-attach 7800 to the DC8-64. The port "additional info" states an invalid E port but I have to show that to support before they'll dig into it.

I think they're going to tell me that I cannot attach an EX-port from the 7800 to the FC8-64 if an EX-port is already configured on that FC8-64. Actually, now that I'm nearly finished with my migration, I think I'll remove an EX-port from one of the FC8-64 blades and see if the 7800 will attach.

Thanks for taking a shot at it.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

there some limitations associated to FC8-64 cards and VF:

In the Brocade DCX, ports 56–63 of the FC8-64 blade are not supported as E_Ports on the default logical switch
     In the Brocade DCX, ports 48–63 of the FC8-64 blade are not supported in the base switch

So you may be affected by one of them.

On the other hand, it may be possible (but I have never tried it) that connecting an EX-port to a base switch is not supported.

Contributor

I do not have VF enabled in this case, so would it be the first line that applies here?

Valued Contributor

maybe, could you please paste the output of DCX switchshow?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook