Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

FC to FC routing in combination with San Extension using DCX 8510-4

I've got a question regarding FC to FC routing in combination with San Extension. I''m currenly working on a design where to separate location need to be communicating with each other and not merge. The customer invested in 4 DCX-8510-4 Director with each a Blade FC16-48 and Integrated Routing licenses. We would want the to enable FC routing on both locations and use LSANs to let certain devices communicate with each other.I''ve done routing before but that was either with separte routers or between just two switches. The problem I have with this setup is that the ports on the director not connected to the DWDM gateway need to be able to form a fabric with edge switches without FC routing. So I would only want to do FC routing across the DWDM connection and not locally. Is this possible and how? Can I setup the ports connected to the DWDM gateway as EX ports on both sides and will this work? I''ve tried to find information regarding this kind of setup but have not been able to, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

External Moderator

Re: FC to FC routing in combination with San Extension using DCX 8510-4

you main question:

--->>>>The problem I have with this setup is that the ports on the director not connected to the DWDM gateway need to be able to form a fabric with edge switches without FC routing. So I would only want to do FC routing across the DWDM connection and not locally. Is this possible and how? Can I setup the ports connected to the DWDM gateway as EX ports on both sides and will this work?

this is most simple

DCX_SITE_A – IFL (E to EX) –DCX_SITE_B  IFL  (EX to E) – formed LSAN

you must assign, both site_a and site_b different FID to form LSAN

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks,

I also have an answer from Brocade, they state to use logical switches and then connect the Base Switch, which is the back bone switch, using external cables with the logical switch.

I think I got pointed in the right direction and need to dig in a little bit deeper to see how to set this up

External Moderator

---->>>I also have an answer from Brocade, they state to use logical switches and then connect the Base Switch, which is the back bone switch, using external cables with the logical switch.

I am not sure what you mean with - using external cable - , but if you have open a call with the Support, then you can closed this thread.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi,

It was not support but a Brocade engineer I know here in the country I live in. I think he means this picture should be similar to what I will have to do.

Routing DCX.png

Where the base switch 4 connects to Logical Switch 1. In my case I would only need a Base and logical Switch one. Then I would only need an external IFL between the Base Switch and the logical switch. There will be no ISL to the other DCX from logical switch 1, but only an XISL across the DWDM from base switch on DCX on the left to base switch on DCX on the right. It is still something I''m not a 100% sure of and I would need some additional reading. Any pointers to some extra FC to FC routing White Papers would also be appreciated.

It seems in FABOS 7.3 the external connection will no longer be needed and routing can be done through the Core Blade.

Regards,

John

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook