Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

FC routing and Virtual fabrics

Small question :

I've got 4 DCXs - 2 per site , distance between sites is 30KM . I 've got DWDM between the sites and I want to use FC routing (LSANs) to communicate between the sites.

On the DCXs I've enable Virtual fabric and  I've created the base switch which has the DWDM ports allocated (E-Ports) , so I will be able to create a backbone fabric which the other logical switches can use for the FC Routing. All went fine so far, the base switches are now merged but now I need to create an EX port on the base switches to connect the logical switches to.

How do I create the connection between the EX ports on the base switches and the E-ports on the logical switches in the same DCX? I've found lots of documentation about XISL, IFL, etc. but no clue how to fix this. I've got the Integrated Routing license so that should make life a little easier?!

Cheers,

Timo

Super Contributor

Re: FC routing and Virtual fabrics

Hi Timo,

add one or more physical ports to the base switch and configure them as EX ports. Then connect these ports to an E-Port on the logical switch with an physical cable.

Do this on the second fabric as well. I have attached a picture which does show you some of the options.

I am intrested in why you have choosen this kind of design?

Do you have really a less number of devices you will export and import?

Are two simple fabrics not an option without the routing stuff for you?

Which advantage do you expect by the choosen design?

If you have any further question please let me know. If not please rate the post.

Best regards,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for your reply! We will host more customers on a DCX and will create VF per customer, routing will not be done locally but between the DCX's on site A and site B. The backbone fabric will be shared though for replication purposes and remote tape backup, We'll have initially 4 remote storage ports and 4 remote tape devices configured per DCX. Next we want the SAN island concept instead of the merged SAN fabrics to avoid any storage management issues, and will make future (storage) migrations a little easier.

Or would you suggest a different solution?

Timo

Super Contributor

Hi Timo,

From a high level view it looks fine want you have planned but think twice if all your arguments are really good to use the VF design or if the simple approach can fulfill your requirement as well.

The question you have raised shows that you have no experience with VF and may you don't know the additional work you get. But it is good if your are motivated to learn new stuff :-)

If your customers will have no access to the SAN switches via tools or CLI you may can avoid VF. If they will have access it is a really strong argument  to put each customer into a single fabric.

Did each customer have a dedicated "remote" fabric as well and is the remote storage/tape shared or dedicated for each customer?

Is the remote site only backup or production as well?

Keep SAN design as simple as possible is my favourite guideline.

Regards,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Hi Andreas,

The KISS principle is indeed one of my favourites too W'd have dedicated backup- and storage ports per customer, thus per VF. Is it be possible to connect the DCX1 in Site A to DCX1 in Site B using FC routing without having to create a addititional logical switch. So create an EX port on the local DCX with FCR enabled and connect it to an E-port on the remote DCX would also be possible?

Timo

Super Contributor

Timo,

Yes you can create this. You will then end up in 4 logical switches plus one base switch and one default switch on side A. The base switch will be connected to a base switch on side B. The DCX in side B will have one base, one defualt switch. Your storage ports will be part of your backbone fabric.

The advantage is that the FCR will be simpler.

Regards,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

Andreas,

I've attached a drawing of the fabric, this environment will have two fabrics per site so we'd have an identical setup for the other fabric. What I

'm confused about is the we'd have to connect the EX-port of the base switch to the E-port on logical switch usin a physical cable?! It's the same physical switch, isn't there a possibility connecting the ports using the backplane?

BR,

Timo

Virtual Fabric_SiteA_SiteB_2.jpg

Valued Contributor

I don't know what FOS lvl you're running.

But in 6.x (at least to my knowledge), you cannot use backend ports for IR, you need to physically patch your E-EX port on the same chassis.

Furtermore you can't have F ports connected on your base switch (=backbone fabric).

addition> looking at the drawing it's just the setup I would create

Occasional Contributor

Hey Dion,

We're running FOS 700b but no internal routing possible so far. I've connected the E- and EX port via a physical FC cable and FCR works fine now

Thanks guys!

BR,

Timo

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook