Fibre Channel (SAN)

Visitor

FC Switch migration

I all, I have 4 Brocade 5100B switches each one of them part of a "standalone" fabric.

I'm in the process of replacing them with 4 Brocade 6520.

What is the reccomanded procedure for the migration? Can I backup the configuration on the first ones and restore it on the second ones?

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor

Re: FC Switch migration

You could give it a try but when doing this over difference platform revisions it most of the time will not work. The config upload/download facility is actually designed for backup purposes, not platform migrations. Seconldy there are also resrtictions between different FOS code levels.

You can do the upload, cut out the stuff you don't care about and upload it again. Things like portnames, zone-configuration etc will be preserved but individual port-settings are not.

I would start from scratch, configure the switches according to best practises and introduce them as new switches into the fabric. The fabric configuration itself is pulled from the existing one and you can start you migration from there. A rip and replace methodology has never been my preference. Accurate desing and planning makes more sense.

Kind regards,
Erwin van Londen
Former Brocade Distinguished Architect
http://www.erwinvanlonden.net The Fibre Channel blog

Occasional Contributor

Agree with prior poster

If all 4 switches are standalone, maybe better is to configure those new switches and connect them to each switch you want to migrate.

Do you have 2 Fabrics per each server-storage connection (redundancy) or not? Is your zoning done by WWN, or port zoning (hard or soft)

If yes for redundancy and soft zoning, then after adding those switches, you can just do one fabric at a time, and plug one port by one out of the old switch and plug it into the new one, always checking for path number on hosts and/or storage. Again, if WWN zoning is implemented, zones will do the rest.

If any other configuration of the switches is done, then another strategy is in order, but I'd avoid just uploading backup configuration from old switch onto new one especialy as they are different.

Regards

S

Regular Visitor

I've not tested this, but you may try this and see if this works.

Connect the 6520 to the 5100 using an ISL, inherit the configuration from the 5100 switch, cfgsave, cfgenable the zone configs on the 6520,  power down the 5100, swap all SAN Array/Host connections to the 6520, remove the ISL, do a cfgsave again, backup the config to a system, at this point the new switch is in production. If you want to see whether the configuration stays you may reboot the switch and confirm.

Established Member

Hi Matteo,

I have the same case. Do you have the procedure for the migration from 5100 to 6520?

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Lukasz

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook