Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

FC Switch follow on to the 8510?

All,

got an aging chassis switch with 100+ used ports i need to replace, I see the 8510 has been around 4-5 years already, is the a roadmap plan to replace this box?

at the moment, don't want to use a couple of pizza boxes to do this...

thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: FC Switch follow on to the 8510?

I heard that next generation platforms will begin going live in the second half of this year.

8510 is still a very good chassis. If you need more than your current 100+ ports, I understand that you can easily expand it. Why would you want to replace it? Do you already have any 32/128 Gb equipment in your hands? Smiley Happy
Contributor

Well the current switch is a 48k Cat Very Happy

Valued Contributor

Ah, then it makes difference Smiley Happy 48k was a good working horse but now it deserves a good retirement Smiley Happy

So now your options are either go for a 8510 chassis (why not?) or wait for the next gen product line.

FYI, the biggest of new compact/solid switches will most likely be 128 ports so you might consider it as a replacement as well? But I heard that it will be available somewhat later than all other devices, very much like it was with 6520 in the 16G family.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.