Fibre Channel (SAN)

FC Port Flags - NPIV

Just wanted to ask a question around port flags:

portFlags:    PRESENT ACTIVE F_PORT G_PORT U_PORT NPIV LOGICAL_ONLINE LOGIN NOELP ACCEPT AOQ AOQ_AG

I have been unable to find information regarding the AOQ and AOQ_AG port flags....

These flags have appeared since an unknown issue caused some devices connected via an access gateway mode switch failed to pass through WWN's properly causing a drop in storage to these devices (also fabric login issues with the devices connected to the access gateway mode switch (reboot clears the issue)).

Since the blip 'AoQ' appears in a switchshow:

Port 1 example
 1   1   0d0100   id    N8       Online      FC  F-Port  1 N Port + 13 NPIV public (AoQ)

Port 2 example
  4   4   0d0400   id    N4       Online      FC  F-Port  1 N Port + 9 NPIV public

Any info on these port flags would be helpful.

Thank you

Valued Contributor

Re: FC Port Flags - NPIV

From what I know, AoQ stands for "application oriented quality of service". When the term appeared some time ago, I've seen a whitepaper on it, and it was about doing some end-to-end QoS down to the virtual machines. You had to run 8G and/or 16G switches with "server application optimization" and "adaptive networking" licenses, and you had to have brocade HBAs in your virtualization servers running in NPIV mode. All this looked too complicated, especially together with the talks that Brocade is going to sell the HBA business soon. I hope you would still be able to find some more details on this now that you know how to decode the abbreviation.

Occasional Contributor

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I am seeing a similar issue and cannot figure out how/why AoQ is on?
Brocade Moderator

Both side of the link support QoS and during the login process (ELP) have agreed to support QoS.

If you check the port on the switch side with "portcfgshow"  or "portcfgqos" and that QoS is ON.

The device on the other end, HBA or AG, also supports QoS and have it enabled.

From the FOS 7.4 command reference manual for switchshow at http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/command-reference-guide/fos-741-commandref/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=commands_a_z.5.385.html

"AoQ Application-oriented QoS; indicates that an F_Port or N_Port has negotiated a link that is capable of quality of service (QoS). Both sides of the link have QoS capability and agreed on the protocol. The link could be between an HBA and an Access Gateway, between an Access Gateway and an edge switch, or between an HBA and an edge switch."

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the response.

We have SN6500B 16gb FC switches connected to HPE C7000 enclosures running Virtual Connect FC 8gb/24port modules. We never saw AoQ on our 8gb DC04 SAN directors but do now on these 16gb switches.

I am having isuses with seeing WWN's log into the fabric and noticed AoQ on all ports. I tried portcfgqos --disable but it didnt change the port status. I have no desire to run AoQ and want to remove it from the equation for troubleshooting. Any ideas?
Brocade Moderator

Hi,

I do not think the AoQ will tie in your problem - it around the QoS applicabe between the switch and VC.

How does your problem manifest itself on the switch and on the VC? 

From the provided example the VC clearly logs into the fabric but the hosts do not?

Pending your FOS level, have you looked at the output from to see if the host triedo to login or not?

portloginshow <port> -history

And NS entries with to see what if any activities on the VC ports

nsdevlog --show port <port>

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook