Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Exchange Based Routing

We are in the process of migrating our SAN from the 12000 (port based routing) to 48000 (Exchange based routing) switches. How do we know what devices support the exchanged based routing? The devices that I'm concerned with are the HP EVA (8000 and 8100) and the IBM Shark 8300. Thanks!

Contributor

Re: Exchange Based Routing

The HP EVA has no problems with Exchange based routing - which is the default on current firmware - unless you are using Continuous Access. With CA, you must use Port based routing.We have a bunch of EVAs here and they have had no issues with Exchange based routing. We've done a little CA but we have only a single path per fabric (a single ISL over multiple ports but it's still counted as a single path).

Occasional Contributor

Ed,Thanks for the quick response. My guess is that the CA that you're talking about is a "feature" on the HP EVA? I'll check with our storage folks and see if it's turned on. We have multiple ISL's between our 12000 and 48000's so I'm not sure if that would be a issue either.

Contributor

Yup, CA is a licensed option (and it's not cheap either). It's used to do synchronous and asynchronous replication between one storage array and another. Your storage folks will definitely know if they're using it or not. I happen to do both storage and SAN management.

Occasional Contributor

That's funny. I had to open my own case with HP because our storage folks said "the tech said it wasn't supported so I'm not answering your questions any longer". I work at the wrong place!Thanks again.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook