Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Example of a Gen5 Lab

[ Edited ]

Good Day all

I'm keen to improve by basic skils on the Brocade equipment. So i'm looking to build a home lab for this. Does anyone have any recommendations on what equipment i should be looking to purchase. I'm keen to take a deeper look at Gen5 Fibre channel and especally  ISL links.

thank you

External Moderator

Re: Example of a Gen5 Lab

@BartPhil

in feew words......

-> Does anyone have any recommendations on what equipment i should be looking to purchase.

->I'm keen to take a deeper look at Gen5

there is not a question if you build a lab with 8G Gen4 Platforms or 16G Gen5 Platforms, most important are the License and not Speed.

in summary and basically Gen4 and Gen5 are very similarly excepted some Licensed features in example:

IR= Intergrated Routing supported on most G4 and G5 Swicthes excepted Brocade 300;

10G FC supported on G5 = Brocade 6510 and 6510;

in order to for a Fabric called ISL you need in the past a Fabric License, however this is not longer required because in native enable in FOS.

ISL Trunking is another story, here is a license required.

for monitoring you need Fabric Vision capable License.

back tou you main question:

->So i'm looking to build a home lab for this.

well, in the summary, if you want to build a Home Lab with at least 2x 6510 and Enterprise License Bundle, you need +/- 50K USD

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.