Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Events log shows faulty ports

Hello,

I have a SAN fabric consisting of 4 x 4100 Brocade switches.  In the Events log, I see the following 3 errors, a few seconds apart, repeat themselves every few days:

FW-1425 Switch status changed from MARGINAL to HEALTHY.
FW-1424 Switch status changed from HEALTHY to MARGINAL.
FW-1437 Switch status change contributing factor Faulty ports: 1 faulty ports.

All 4 switches are showing the same 3 errors repeat themselves every few days.  None of the errors indicate which port it is that is faulty.

I have logged into the swtich through SSH and done a portErrShow.  This shows CRC errors on 2 ports, but there is nothing plugged into these 2 ports.  I've tested the ports by plugging a device in - this works OK.

How do I identify exactly which port it is that the switch believes is faulty?

How do I reset the error log counters shown in portErrShow?

How do I stop the above 3 errors showing themeselves every few of days?

Many thanks,

Richard.

Occasional Contributor

Re : Events log shows faulty ports

Most likely it is SFP. I have seen many times, SFP go bad, without any thing connected to it.

Use portstatsclear command to clear the stats.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Re : Events log shows faulty ports

Hi Shaque,

Thanks for your response.  I completely agree there is most likely a faulty SFP, cable or HBA somewhere, but unfortunately, the switch Event Log doesn't tell you which port it is that is faulty.  The switches are all running firmware version 4.4.0b which I am aware is very old and does need to be updated.

I have checked all of the SFPs and these look to be OK, but the switch state is still shown as down - 2 faulty ports.  How do I reset the switch state to healthy?  I suspect I am going to have to reboot it?

Many thanks,

Richard.

Occasional Contributor

i had an issue like this on a 12K. it ended up being the cable. I would double check your cable and hba. Maybe as easy as just that.

Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.  I checked all of the SFPs by plugging in a known working HBA/cable combination and this appears to have cleared the faulty ports.  But the status LED on the front flashes green/orange and the power LED is shown as orange.  I have checked each PSU and they all have power and green LEDs on them.

Richard.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook