Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

End of Life for 4100 - What does that mean?

We have two 2005-B32 SAN switches, which I believe are Brocade 4100 SAN switches with an IBM branding on them.

Doing some research, it looks like the 4100 is at End of Life. It's not clear to me what exactly that means. In particular, I'm wondering how much longer we can expect Brocade to support our switches.

Does anyone have any idea what an "End of Life" status means with regards to support?

We're not using FICON, and we're running FabricOS 6.2.1.

Thank you very much.

Valued Contributor

Re: End of Life for 4100 - What does that mean?

You bought your switches from IBM , so in my opinion IBM has to support the switches initially, even if they are EOL.

EOL refers to the hardware which to my means parts (psu boards etc) will become increasingly rare and support cost increase.

Better to change them with current models.

Regular Contributor

Hi -

in general Brocade (and OEMs too) supports switches around 5 years after End Of Life. Then switches are End Of Support (EOS).

For 4100, EOL date is  2007/10/31, EOS date is 2012/10/31.

After EOS, IBM may still provide support for a short time (few monthes) with best effort service for parts replaces.

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

--

david

Frequent Contributor

Hi branden.loizides,

Was your question answered?  If so, please mark the answer(s) as either helpful or correct. Our community members are providing valuable answers to your questions. Please appreciate their time and efforts by marking the question as mentioned above and encourage them to participate more.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Grace Chang

Community Moderator

New Contributor

David,

Thank you for the reply!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook