Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Email alerts for er_bad_OS and other port state errors

Currently we ran into an issue with our 8Gb array connections into our DCX backbone.  The ports were accumulating a ton of er_bad_os erros due to an invalid fill word.  We know the fix and plan on implementing it this weekend.    We have been chasing down many performance issues since we both introduced out VMAX into the environment along with the DCX switches.   We hope this change will resolve some of these issues.   What I would like to know is if there is a way for the switch to report back on these errors?  If we had seen some type of an alert months ago, we would have addressed the issue when everything was first connected.

I cannot find anything in Fabric watch for this parameter or in EFCM.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

-Jim

Super Contributor

Re: Email alerts for er_bad_OS and other port state errors

see follow Threads please.

Here an you find a long discussion

That make more sense you continue to discussin in this Threads with other User instead to Open a NEW Threads.

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Thank you.

New Contributor

I Heve read that post as well as many others and I am already aware what the error is and how to resolve the issue we are having.

What I want to know is if there is a way to report on this error as well as the other possible errors un port stats.  Does Fabric watch report on these, I have been testing but have not gotten anything from it. 

Thanks

-Jim

Super Contributor

Hi Jim,

Fabricwatch is one option to get alerts but it will not cover all aspects. Fabricwatch has some open defects and reports sometime funny thinks or is even reporting nothing. But in general it is the right direction for implementing a basline monitoring and alerting.

I hope that Brocade takes more attention on Fabricwatch in the future.

Fabricwatch reports some more counters with FOS 6.4.x.

er_bad_os is not in the list.

If you have many switches I would recommend to use a combination of Fabricwatch and some scripts which collects the error counters via SNMP in a regular interval.

If you need further assist let me know.

Regards,

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook