Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

END to END Device connectivity

I suspect some Tape devices not having locality and crossing the only ISL between two switch setup to the server HBA.

I can confirm this via zoning, but i need to know if there are any Brocade cmd to confirm traffic flow between server hba and tape drive to 2nd switch, ( by the way its single fabric with two switches).

I like to avoid this tapes to cross the ISL and will rezone the devices but before that i need to confirm and prove this devices are writing across the swithces.

So far i have tried.

1. urouteshow

2.fcping ( seems to tell its on the same domian, but i still need to prove its going from switcha to b) 

3.portCamShow ( not sure what this cmd can prove)

basically i need to see & prove  that Tape device is getting to the server via ISL from Switch A to SwitchB.

Thanks

Frequent Contributor

Re: END to END Device connectivity

If you have an HBA on one switch and the Tape device on another both in one zone then traffic will flow guaranteed over this ISL. I'm sure what you question is. To me its plain logic but maybe I misread your question.

Contributor

Erwin, you are right i already know that the traffic is flowing between the switches over ISL, now i just need to prove  positively to non Brocade Savvy folks that and also have positive proof of Data Tranfer between two switches.

I am trying to find out a way to document actual traffic and communication between this devices from Switch A to B via Brocade CMD and not just point to zoning and say its wrong.

How can i see end to end traffic between the Tape and the server ? via Brocade cmd ?

sort of say Traceroute in Networking.

There has to be more tools and cmd to actually track the traffic flow vs relying on the zoning alone for proving what i see.

Frequent Contributor

i might have what you lookin for, but that´s just a guess

Flow Vision: This is a comprehensive tool that enables administrators to identify, monitor, and analyze specific application data flows in order to maximize performance, avoid congestion, and optimize resources. Flow Vision includes:

• Flow Monitor: Provides comprehensive visibility into flows in the fabric, including the ability to automatically learn (discover) flows and non-disruptively monitor flow performance. Users can monitor all flows from a specific host to multiple targets/LUNs or from multiple hosts to a specific target/LUN; monitor all flows across a specific ISL; or perform LUN-level monitoring of specific frame types to identify resource contention or congestion that is impacting application performance.

http://www.brocade.com/solutions-technology/technology/san-fabric-technology/fabric-vision.page

and this one

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FOS_FLOW_AG_720/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#href=FV_Flow_Monitor.4.1.html&single=true

Regular Contributor

Flowvision is a FOS7.2 (licensed?) feature on the 16GB platform.

If topicstarter has both than it could be helpfull.

But you don't need flowvision to determine how traffic flows acrross the ISL to the tapedrives.

The goal is to prove that the tapedrives do not benifit from local switching, which dpends on using the same ASIC for ingress and egress traffic.

So from the initiator POV anything an a different switch is crossing an ISL by default

Depending on the portcount and platform and port to ASIC mapping you can determine whether both ports use the same ASIC or not.

If so local switching if noot then no local switching.

Again depeding on the platform not having local switching could result in oversubscriptioin, but this is in general with high portcount blades in directors.

Pizzabox models don't have oversubscription within the box

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook