Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Does changing domain id cause problems to AIX hosts?

Hi there,

Frequent Contributor

Re: Does changing domain id cause problems to AIX hosts?

My AIX is a little rusty, but if you are using persistant binding on the FCID, changing the domain ID will have an effect on the FCID

Regular Contributor

We have moved AIX boxes around a lot between domains without any issues. We've even moved their disk ports between domains without any problems.The only OS that I'm aware of that cares about domains is HP-UX. You can move the server around all you want, but you can not move the disk port without reconfigureing the devices.

New Contributor

Hi Bert,I also had a brocade version once of this chapter alone, but I can't find it anymore?

Contributor

I just replaced a 3800 with a 4100 and the domain IDs were different. After the switch replacement, I rebooted the AIX boxes and when cfgmgr ran during the boot process, it rediscovered all of the LUNs with the new FCID. It did assign new hdisk names to the LUNs, and it also removed the old hdisk names for me. Everything workes fine, so unless you depend on specific hdisk names, you should be OK...

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook