Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Disabling SFP's on FC switches

I am thinking of persistently disabling the unused ports on our FC switches to extend the life of the SFP's.  Does disabling a port on a switch increase the life of the SFP or does this have no impact.  My thinking is that disabling the SFP will shutdown the laser.

Thanks.

Contributor

Re: Disabling SFP's on FC switches

as fas as i know, it's recommended to disabling unused port, either by portdisable or portcfgpersistentdisable cmd.

Super Contributor

Re: Disabling SFP's on FC switches

Hi Scott,

disabling FC ports will increase the security of your SAN because you have control over what is where connected. Good if you have an security audit.

I don''t think that this will increase the laser life time becuase disabling a port is doing it on a logical level and not by shuting down the laser.

You can see on a disabled or persistent disabled port if something is connected and if the port is in sync but only if it is connected correctly ;-)

This means the laser and receiver are still working.

To disable the ports has one disadvantage: If someone swap sfps on disabled ports this will not correctly updated in the switch,

The differrence between portcfgpersistentdisable and a portdisable is that the ports will stay disabled after a switch boot or card power cycle.

I do a portcfgpersistentdisable on all unused port since years.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook