Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Disable Trunk Port option

Hi,

can i disable the trunk option (portcfgtrunkport) on an aktiv access Port, not being used as ISL, without impact to the connected host system?

Thank you

Thorsten

Brocade 5300
FOS v6.4.3b ( i know it´s very old. It will be updated next week).

Frequent Contributor

Re: Disable Trunk Port option

Hello Thorsten, As described in the help, whe the command is executed to update the trunking configuration, the port is disabled and reenabled during the change , but i have done this in F-Port (not ISL) logged in the fabric, (but unzoned) and I was not enabled to see any changes in the portlog that indicates a disable in the port.
New Contributor

Hi anovelli,

thank you for your answer.

I tried the configuration change on an aktiv F-Port. I couldn't see any problems on the connected Serversystem and there are no changes in the portlog too.

So, now i will disable the trunk port option on all F-Ports.

Thank you

Thorsten

Frequent Contributor

Hi Thorsten, Just for curiosity, that is to prevent a port to became ISL in case of a mistake in the cabling ? If you want to do this for security reasons, you will like the secpolicy feature. http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/command-reference-guide/nos-502b-commandref/GUID-D9B56553-7C55-49E8-A7FB-991B5DB902E2.html
New Contributor

It´s just a precaution. The storage support proposes to disable the trunk port option. We have some problems with path-losts in the vmware environment and we see the problem (old firmware, wrong fillword, "enc out" errors) on the switch. Now the fillword´s are correct (3). Next week i make a firmware update.

I hope this will solves the problem.

Frequent Contributor

Based on what we discussed, and not aware about the whole problem, i cannot see any reason for the trunk capability of the F-Port to cause such problems. I would disable the trunk capability just to prevent undesired trunk changes and portcfgeport to prevent undesired ISL creation. Such configurations should not cause problems to a F-Port

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook