Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Difference in the blade type

This is with regards to Director SAN512-B6 ,

My First question is is there any specific difference between the below mentioned Port blades expect the "SFP inclusion in 3248"

My Second question in can I use a LW SFP in both the Port Blades

(#3248) - SAN512B-6 48 port Blade
(#3249) - 48 port 32Gbps SW Blade

regards,
Manoj
External Moderator

Re: Difference in the blade type

hi,

the blade ist the same, part number refer to:

3248 No-SFP

3249 Full populated with SW SFP - short distance

3250 Full populated with LW SFP - long distance

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response Sir, but in terms of buffer will there be any difference between 3248 No-SFP and 3249 Full populated with SW SFP - short distance Blade types.

External Moderator

.....in term of buffer..../ No-SFP

not sure at this point what is you question.

without SFP you cannot configured any port and no buffer credit cannot be allocated.

TechHelp24
Community Manager

Hello!

@Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24is correct.  If there is no physical SFP inserted in to the port, than you can't configure the port.

I wanted to add a bit of extra information from the online docs to help support this discussion.

This chart shows the amount of available buffer credits (BC) per switch/blade per port group.
http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/fos-741-adminguide/GUID-94E1C32B-3EDC-49CA-B47C-05EAA81EE25D.html

Another good page to view is the following which talks about calculating BC allocation:
http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/administration-guide/fos-741-adminguide/GUID-AE535053-3CF5-43DF-90EE-E33DEC6FDDB6.html

In general, if the port blade is the same, the amount of potentially available BC is the same regardless of the SFP (SW or LW)  plugged in to it.  SW SFPs will likely need less BCs than LW SFPs since they tend to be used in short-range vs long-range connections.  In general, port blade models packaged with SW SFPs do not have less potentially available BCs than the same port blade model packaged with LW SFPs thought the allocation may be less depending on the distance and the actual SFP plugged in.

I hope the above helps!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook