Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Device not able to come online on a HPSN3000B FC switch

Hi

Appreciate any help.

I have a hdd array which works fine on a HP 8/8 storageworks fiber switch with no issues. But when I try to connect this hdd array on a HP SN3000B (Brocade 6505) FC switch, there is a steady amber light.  I tried switching the port speeds from 2,4,8,12,16 and auto neg also to no avail.  When I set the port speed to 2GB switchshow will report the port status as in_sync,  all other speeds from 4GB up will report it as no_sync.   The HP SN3000B switch is a brand new FC switch, out of the box and I just want to use this standalone.  Does anybody encounter this before? Can this be a configuration issue?

Tried to run EZswitchsetup but program keeps reporting "unable to enable web tools EZ" after  I hit finish at continue setup.   If I just want to use this switch as a standalone switch, do I need to configure it?

Thanks in advance.

Valued Contributor

Re: Device not able to come online on a HPSN3000B FC switch

Hi,

Please post the output of command "switchshow" in order to see the status of the new switch.

What speed does your hdd array ports support? 

What SFPs are installed in the new switch? can you put the output of "sfpshow <port>" of the port where you connected the array to.

also post the output of portshow <port>, portstatsshow <port> and portcfgshow <port> of the port where you connected the array to (with it connected).

Rgds,

Felipon

Valued Contributor

Hi I think Felipon has some vaild question that need answering about the SFP you use in your 6505 and what the array supports..

You state you switches the port from 2G to 16G and AN with no change visible from the device POV.

Without changing the SFP that's impossible.

The switches

-support 2/4/8G with an 8G SFP,

-4/8/16G are supported with an 16GSFP.

-10G (not 12) is supported with an 10G SFP

All FC only obviously.

My best bet for now your new switch as 16G SFP your array is 2G.

If your array support the speeds which are compatible with the installed SFP's in the new switch, something else is up.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Felipon, Dion,

I have attached the logs for sfpshow, portshow, portstatsshow and portcfgshow.

sfp used is the AJ716B 8GB transceiver.  HDD array is connected to port 2, port 3.  HDD is powered.

Appreciate if you can help see if there is any configurations that I need to set at the ports.

Btw when I connect the HDD array on a HP 8/8 Sans storageworks fiber switch, the ports shows as L-port.  Do I need to config the 6505 as a L-port for the port that I connect the hdd array to?

Thanks

Best Regards

Valued Contributor

The 6505 doesn't support Loop anymore.

You either stick wth your B300 or upgrade your array.

Valued Contributor

By default, ports in 16G switchs are locked as G ports (since L port is not supported anymore). But you could try to disable this lock (command "portcfggport <port> 0") to see if your situation experiences any kind of improvement, but in the end you'll have to follow @dion.v.d.c's advice. Also, you can configure, if supported by the storage array, the port on the HDD side to negotiate via FC-SW instead of FC-AL.

rgds

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks Felipon, Dion.

Will try disabling the gport and see what happens. 

Sigh,, The only consolation I have is I am able to connect my hdd array to the fiber HBA direct if I use a 8GB SFP.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook