Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Data Stored on Brocade 48000 Chassis

Hello,

I am hoping you can help me. I work for a data wiping company and we have a lot of Brocade 48000 directors. We have successfully managed to wipe those which have the CP management cards but on occasion we get some which are faulty. Can you please tell me what information would be stored on the chassis itself, from what research I have done there is a chassis IP and switchname, is there anything else?

Also, is there anyway to wipe this data without having the management cards, or is there some kind of internal flash that can be removed to wipe any data.

Sorry for the vague questions I am by no means an expert on the hardware or software.

Really appreciate any help you can give.

External Moderator

Re: Data Stored on Brocade 48000 Chassis

Hi,

al Director Class Switches, fit TWO CP= Control Processor.

If one is faulty, the second Standby become Active.

config and License are saved on both Active and Standby CP.

The chassis itself without CP don't save such information, with other word, without CP all Info are lost.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks for your answer, to test this I have set a switchname in the webtools with only one CP inserted in the chassis, I have then powered down the entire unit, removed that CP and inserted another CP. The switchname is still present, this is what makes me believe something is stored within the chassis itself.

Valued Contributor

that's an interesting fact.
you said: "I have set a switchname in the webtools with only one CP inserted in the chassis"
let me clarify this: did this chassis contain at least one port blade in addition to one CP blade?
Valued Contributor

apart of that, 48000 also contains WWN Card. from what i know, this card stores switch wwn and serial number, and i suspect that these numbers are somehow related to each other. brocade licensing uses these values to generate the license keys unique to the chassis. another reason to have this separate electronic piece is as follows: even if you have to replace both CPs in the chassis, the switch wwn and serial number will not change as they are stored separately from the CPs. this way (ideally) customers and support engineers do not need to request license move when replacing components. even if the entire chassis has to be replaced for whatever mechanical reasons, the wwn card should be transferred from the old to the new chassis and again, all the director attributes will stay the same. but i do not believe that switch name and ip address can be stored into the WWN Card. in my opinion, this component should intentionally be made as easy as possible and "read only".
Valued Contributor

however, additional "read/write" storage for the switchname and ip address is also possible to have in the wwn card in addition to the "static" ssn and wwn values. why not?..
New Contributor

Yes there were some fibre blades in the unit as well, thanks for the replies I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Valued Contributor

As a last confirmation, could you please repeat your test (with one single CP being replaced with another) but without any other blades in the chassis at all. I have a feeling that switchname and IP address could also be stored in th e port blades, as these parameters are required for E-Port operations...
New Contributor

Will do once I am back at work and let you know.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.