Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

DS-300B ISL many errors on 8Gb, not on 4Gb

We have 2 locations, separated by 610 meters and 1245 meters dark fiber. The switches are Brocade DS-300B with 8Gb long wave (10 km) SFPs.

When the switch ports run at 8Gb I see a lot of errors and communication between 2 VNX machines is very bad. Mirrorview doesn't show any progress.

When I set the ports down to 4Gb, the ISLs are error free and mirrorview is running smoothly.

The connections between the 2 300's in each fabric is a single ISL. We have 2 fabrics, so 4 switches and 2 VNX's.

We'd like to run the ISL @8Gb, but we keep getting the errors on the link. We tried new patch cables (9 micron of course) and other outlets on the patch panel, but that wasn't it.

Does anyone have an idea of what this might be ? we have the idea that the default b2b credits should be enough to accomodate this. even when enabling the Long distance mode, which gives me 46 b2b credits keep giving many errors. on 4Gb almost no errors.

Regular Contributor

Re: DS-300B ISL many errors on 8Gb, not on 4Gb

Hi, which errors are you seeing on the ports?

Valued Contributor

While running on 8Gb did you set the fillword = 3 on ports on the ISL?

If not try that first, help portcfgfillword will give you details on syntax etc.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys, I will check this asap! It is just showing in the GUI under total errors.

Thanks again!

Occasional Contributor

Still no effect.The errors only dissapear when changing to normal mode (giving me 8 b2b credits) and 4Gb fixed. absolutely no errors then. when changing to 8Gb, change to LD mode (giving me 46 b2b credits) or not and even change portcfgfillword to 3, does not resolve anything. only way of error free ISL is 4Gb Normal mode.

External Moderator

menno,

have you tried to reset the port to default and the config the ISL now ?

keep in mind, in such case you must disconnect the ISL, reset the Port and the plug a cable.

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

Hi,

are you aware about the DEFECT000357780 which is fixed in FOS6.4.2b.

I had simlar issues also on other 8Gbit platforms which were fixed after the update to 6.4.2b.

I hope this helps,

Andreas

Occasional Contributor

thanks guys, the ports had been resetted and the firmware is the latest at this moment

Occasional Contributor

I had version 6.4.2a following emc, but I now upgraded to latest, 7.0.1 but makes no difference. still the errors when running on 8Gb, even with portcfgfillword to 3

Seb
Occasional Visitor

Hi, I am experiencing the same problem and changing Fillword did not help at all. Can you please let me know how you finally solved this issue? your help will be really appreciated.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook