Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

DS-200B EMC Serial Access

Hey,

Got a second hand EMC DS-200B  but can't seem to access it from the serial port. Web tools and telnet work fine to default ip.  I didn't receive the original console cable so I am using  generic 9 pin serial at the moment which I use to connect to all other serial equipment just fine. I am using the recommended serial settings baud rates etc.  It does connect using the serial but there is no txt displayed in the window. I can disconnect so I know it connects but nothing can be seen. Let me know if I missing something please.

Valued Contributor

Re: DS-200B EMC Serial Access

In they are talking about a straight cable instead of using a null modem cable.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I'm not sure I can get the original cable.  I currently have a 9 P/N usb to serial male to double sided female to switch serial male.  Are you suggesting I need a usb to serial female straight to switch serial male?

Valued Contributor

Don't know about the USB part as I still have a native serial port at hand.

Reading from the other thread they suggest using a straight instead of a null modem cable.

Occasional Contributor

I used a different serial cable and I can now access the serial console port on the switch fine.  I am using usb to serial male to (correct) double serial female to switch serial male.  So usb to serial does work as well! The switch serial port requires straight (or extension like what I use) serial cable with a female DP9 connector. Only pins 2,3 and 5 are supported. Hope this helps others.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook